We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

RI
1 post
Save Topic
Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

It looks like we might be relocating to NJ for my husband's job which will be based in Parsippany. I grew up on Long Island, approximately 60-90 minutes from Manhattan, yet really know nothing about NJ. It seems even in this market, the real estate is high. We're looking to live no more than a one hour or hour and fifteen minute drive (6:00 a.m.) commute to Parsippany, preferably in a 10-20 year old house, at least 2,500 SF, in a great school district. We currently live in a subdivison with 13 year old houses, and 2,800 SF. I have 2 children ages 10 and 12 and typically these type of subdivisions come with lots of kids. Unfortunately our budget will be only in the 600 - 650K range. Any ideas on towns to look? Thank you!

bucks co.
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

Take a look at Bucks County, PA Central Bucks Schools are ranked No. 5 In the state, wonderful placce to raise kids. Also good is Brick area of NJ. and you have the beach.

Level Contributor
406 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

SLB95:

I agree w/ the last posting. Look into Pennsylvania or border of NJ w/ PA to find new homes at your price range w/ great amenities. I live in Parsippany and its about 40 minutes to Delaware Water Gap straight west on Rte 80.

I don't know anything about the schools in PA or the utilities - I would assume you would have septic, oil heat, etc. You might consider some areas west of Parsippany that are developed, but have newer homes - Denville, Rockaway, Randolph, Wharton, which are 15-20 minutes west of Parsippany. Keep in mind, your husband will be commuting w/ traffic heading into Manhattan, etc. Same goes at the end of the day. I exit just before the traffic buildup, but at 5 PM or so, its bumper to bumper on Rte 80 as people are homebound. Problem is the highways are not made for such volume at rush hour.

Email directly if you want more advice. We have lived in Parsippany for 7 years, moving here from Cleveland Ohio suburb. Have two preschool children.

Howell, NJ
Level Contributor
189 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

Your price range for 2,500 SF will work best in towns west and northwest of Parsippany/Troy Hills. Try towns like Netcong, Succasunna, and Dover. West of these towns real estate becomes alittle less expensive. Northwest is the Sparta area.

Also look into some towns in Bergen County like Midland Park, Waldwick, and Oakland. Much of Bergen County is extremely expensive, but you may be able to find something in these towns.

Just some thought, for 6 years I commuted over an hour to work. Long commutes are not fun especially when it rains, snows, or stuck in traffic After awhile the long commute gets tiresome. I would try to stay under an hour.

NJ
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

The best commute into Parsippany s usually from the south on route 287. Routes 10 and 80 are a pretty tough commute. Travel from Pa on Route 80 would be well over 1 hour unless you get about 25 miles into NJ by 6:30 am. I commute through Parsippany from zip 07853 and I avoid Route 80 at rush hour, cutting through Mendham and Morristown.

Some of the better nearby high school districts are probably Mountain Lakes, Millburn (essex County-higher taxes), Chatham, West Morris (Mendhams, Chesters, Long Valley). NJ School Report Card gives an ok snapshot.

How rural/suburban are you looking for? Do you want sidewalks & street lights?

A quick search (link below) found a 5 br 3.5 ba house in Long Valley zip 07853 @ $645k list.

http://homes.realtor.com/

5. Re: Relocating & like to live one hour commute from Parsippany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 12:19