We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bored in the airport

L.A.
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bored in the airport

Hope all of you travel gurus can help, please.

My wife are arriving in Newark airport on a wednesday, very early, around 7 a.m. Our departing flight doesn't depart for Europe until around 5 pm, that's a total of 10 hours, wheewww !

I was wondering if anyone could suggest say a shuttle or taxi into N.Y.City for a few hours and more importantly what we could tour or see in a few hours. We have to arrive back at Newark by around 2 pm for the departing flight.

What time would it take by bus or shuttle or by taxi to get into NY City from Newark and back ( asround say 12:30 or 1 pm ? Do you know if we can leave luggage at the airport on deposit for those few hours? Most importantly, we are walkers, so put us in the middle of the "action" to gawk and oooh-awe on foot, maybe with a city bus to get to outlying areas, as long as we can conveniently get back to the airport. Don't want to spend a lot of time in museums and galleries...we're outdoorsy people.

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
1,890 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bored in the airport

You'll be arriving at prime time rush hour going into NYC. I think your best bet is NJ Transit. The train goes from Newark Airport to Penn Station in NYC.

Obviously you can check your larger pieces of luggage straight through to your European destination. For your carry-on items, I am almost positive they removed all lockers after 9/11.

Unless one of the airline lounges have a storage area for luggage, I think you will have no choice but to bring it with you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bored in the airport

Newark airport has a monorail that connects all of the terminals and will also take you to NJ transit Trains. Take the train into the city. It will take you to Penn Station, which in under Madison Square Garden. Plenty of shopping right there or you can hike up to Times Square (about 12 blocks). It will be cold this week and very windy, so dress warm.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,608 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bored in the airport

If you take the monorail and then NJ Transit to NYC you come out right around the corner from the Empire State Building. You could spend most of your time standing in line to get to the first set of elevators then more time for the 2nd set.

You can also walk up 5th avenue to see the stores and then over to 42nd street, then up to the park, or up 7th all the way up to Lincoln Center. You could hop a cab to Grennwich Village and wander, or spend time at the South Street Seaport.

But. It's not common but also not unheard of for the trains back to the airport to simply stop running. So the question I cannot answer is what time to go back. There is no answer.

hth

Pjk

4. Re: bored in the airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 18:16