We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in Jersey

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in Jersey

Hello Everyone,

My fiance and I would like to have our ceremony & reception in the same space in Jersey. We would like to keep the cost below $4,000 for 50-75 people. Problem is everything is so expensive.

Any ideas? Hotels? B&B? Parks? Cost?

Wedding date: April 23rd or 25th, 2006.

Thanz for ur help!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in Jersey

I suggest cutting the # of people, if you trully want to spend that little. Sounds impossible in NJ on that budget.

Verona, NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in Jersey

No way - don't cut your list. Everyone suggested that to me. I wanted to invite everyone I wanted to invite. I would have had a backyard wedding before cutting my list. For less than $20,000 for every single thing (down to the coloring books I had at the kids table), I had a big church wedding with a bridal party of 10 adults & 3 children, a reception with a cocktail hour and sit down dinner for 171 people, a 20 passenger limo, real flowers, beautiful centerpieces, a dj and a honeymoon. Believe me - nobody could tell that I spent so little for so many and so much. That price was for everything - dress, tux, rehearsal dinner, every single incidental pre-wedding and wedding cost. The reception for 171 was $9,400.

I just got married in June - - Essex Manor in Bloomfield was a great place - $60.42 per person for a cocktail hour & sit down dinner. That included tax and tip. Kids that were eating were 1/2 price. They have 2 rooms. We cut out the open bar and instead had just beer, wine & soda. Hard liquor was available at the bar at cost. I understand that The Brownstone in Paterson is also very reasonable. See also WWW.WEBEVENTPLANNER.COM. It has menus for various hotels in the state.

Wherever you choose, think about that beer, wine & soda option. That will probably help you keep down the price.

Also, don't spend a fortune on centerpieces. I made my own and they were gorgeous. I'm not crafty. They were very easy: http://wedcrafts.com/light.html. Keep browsing dollar stores. Eventually, you will come across favors. By me, I found these 5x7 sized felt boxes with a picture frame as a lid. They were great. I put a little poem thanking my guests for coming in the area where the picture would go. People who I told where I got them were shocked.

For inexpensive photography - check out thepros.com. You can buy professional looking invitations at Michaels or another craft store and print them out on your computer. Low cost tuxes: Menswearhouse. Limo - A-Class Limousine. DJ - MixMasters. I found a dress I liked in a bridal shop. I then looked up the designer online and found a place that sold it a lot cheaper (bestbuybridal.com - if they carry the designer, but if they don't, there are other sites). My aunt altered it. My friend couldn't afford a gift, so he offered to take a video.

Need other ideas, let me know. I have many!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in Jersey

Myfry, you spent $20,000, not $4,000. It's a big difference. Even if islandhoney cut her list to 50 people, she'll need to find a place for about $40 p.p. in order to afford a D.J. and a dress. That's assuming she's doing all the invites and centerpieces herself. I did a Bat Mitzvah recently (at L'Affaire in Mountainside), which cost me $70 p.p. I only had about 100 people, and I still spent over $20,000. It adds up, what can I say? Islandhoney, if you know someone who can lend you their house/backyard, that may be the way to go.

Sicklerville, New...
Level Contributor
175 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in Jersey

Where is NJ are you looking? North? Central? South?

One general suggestion would be a winery -- check out www.newjerseywines.com -- it would probably be a beer/wine reception (with their wines, obviously) but some places like Thomasello and Renault have really nice venues.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in Jersey

Thank u everyone for ur advice. So far I found a place that would charge $30 pp AND itz very nice-restaurant in Wayne/Little Falls. They'll also let me have the ceremony there for a couple a hundred. Including the dress & his suit, itz about $3000. Our other option is a destination wedding which will cost us about $3000 including spending $. I checked with our guests and 30+ want to go to Jamaica. We can have a "backyard" reception when we return for a little over $1000 for everyone AND those that can't make it to Jamaica. I figure a wedding in the Caribbean beats a wedding in a restaurant.

Thanx again for your advice.

Verona, NJ
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in Jersey

I think ejan was reading a different post than I was or ejan didn't read my response correctly - - islandhoney wants a low cost ceremony & reception for 50-75 people for under $4,000 - - There is no mention of all of the other incidentals, I just mentioned them. For a ceremony & reception alone (which is how I read it) for between 50-75 people would be between $3,021-$4,532. It would be even less by cutting out the cocktail hour.

My post showed that I had a HUGE wedding with 171 guests, plus paid for the rehearsal dinner, honeymoon, church, dress, tuxes, limo, photographer, dj, rings, flowers, centerpieces, etc., etc., etc. - all for LESS than $20,000. It was actually just over $18,000.

Put simply, people usually only plan on getting married once. With that plan in mind, you'll want to have everyone there that you want. You will remember the people who were there with you more than you will remember anything else. I don't think that's where anyone should cut corners.

new jersey
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in Jersey

Try The Brownstone in Paterson New Jersey. It's a beautiful place and they have small rooms that will fit your need. There price is always good. Ask for Tommy, let him know your budget and help you. He'll let you know what food to have the menu to help you. Good- Luck! and Congrats on the wedding!

AJ

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding in Jersey

Island honey,

I got married in New Jersey on the beach with palm trees and all. I had all of my family and friends. NO shoes nessesary of course because we wre in the sand. I made the invitations myslef. As well as the centerpeices (not crafty at all) Dj, flowers . I had 2 flower girls and 2 bridesmaids and 2 groomsmen. I spent less then 5,000 dollars for the entire wedding (granted my wedding cake was agift from a freind) but I manged to buy a beautiful dress at macy's surpisingly cheap. Its was jut like we were in the islands but we were right here in NJ. Looking at the pictures you would never geuss where we were. You can do it O and did i mention i did all of this in 4 months! We had open bar, EVERYTHING. And it's a wedding nobody will ever forget. I got married on Donovans Reef Beach in Sea Bright New Jersey Monmouth County in September You can really have a beautiful wedding for very cheap without looking cheap. Look into it, you will be surprised! They have a Tiki bar right on the beach (open bar) you can bring tables and chairs cover them. it requires a little labor on your and families part but in the end you will have a great day! Good Luck to you.!

Rockaway, NJ
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in Jersey

I also had a budget wedding. We were married at the Greycliff in Moonachie. FYI, we used a florist in Kearny, NJ called AW Flowers. They gave me a deal on flowers that was unbelievable! Ask for Adam.

Fair Haven, NJ
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in Jersey

I saw someone posted the Renault Winery in Egg Harbor NJ. We were just at a wedding there this weekend and it was awful. The food was just OK. Service and wine needed many improvements. Budget Budget place and it would punish your guests.