We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving through to Maine

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Driving through to Maine

I have a question about driving through NY to Maine. My dad will be doing the drive from Texas at the end of the month and wants to avoid NYC and the traffic. He will be coming on 78. Would he be better taking the New Jersey Turnpike and cross over on 80/95 and continue on 95 that way, or could he take the Garden State Parkway all the way to 87/287 further North, then continue on 287 until he hits 95 close to Conn? Different sites are telling us different ways. Anyone have advice, please? I will also put on NY forum , as well.

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,480 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving through to Maine

From Texas to Maine why even consider getting on 95, let alone the Garden State Parkway, until you are north of the NYC metropolitan area? Does he want to do the busy coastal route, or does he have to be on 78?

From Texas I would suggest coming up 81 to 84.

Travel Safe

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving through to Maine

I would take 40 to 81 to 84 to 95. Unfourtantly you will see less than a 10th of a mile of New jersey that way

Edited: 04 August 2010, 07:38
texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving through to Maine

Thank you both. Someone on the NY forum said that too, so that is the way I will give him. Wants to stay out of the coastal area.Thank you again for helping to make his trip safe.

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving through to Maine

And looking on map, don't really even see 78, so not sure why one of the online map sites had that. Thansk again.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
790 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving through to Maine

Take the 87/287 route. There is less traffic and the drivers are saner. The last thing that I would have someone who is unfamilar with NJ do is go 80/95. Its not for the faint of heart.

Monmouth County NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving through to Maine

The best route in my view would be to take I-81 to I-84 to the Mass Pike. Go around Boston clockwise via I-495/Rt 128 and pick up 95 at the NH line.

I-78 runs from just east of Harrisburg PA at the I-81 junction to the Holland Tunnel in NJ

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving through to Maine

Thanks for another view. That looks very possible. Will show him all the ways and let him decide. He grew up in Lynn, Mass, so he lived there before. Its just now, at 70, things have gotten much more crowded than when he was younger..

texas
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving through to Maine

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you who helped. He called today after a four day trip and is in Maine. Did the 40, 81, 84, Mass turnpike, then 95.

Thanks again for helping him get there safely...ndw

Connecticut
Level Contributor
335 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving through to Maine

I would hook into interstate 81 in whatever state you first can take that route and follow it to Scranton, Pa where you can pick up 84 East to CT and Massachusetts. In Mass you want to Take the Mass Pike to interstate

395 which will take you into Maine. You avoid all the 95 mess and avoid the coastal route. You also avoid New Jersey and the NYC area.

10. Re: Driving through to Maine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2011, 05:16