We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to washington from NJ

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
travel to washington from NJ

i am planning travel with family on late october from NJ to washington, i am from india, cannot drive in USA, need to know road travel options, living near new Brunswick, any bus service from NB or nearby to washington

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to washington from NJ

Do you mean washington state or CD?

Edited: 21 September 2011, 12:02
ahmedabad
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel to washington from NJ

washington DC

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel to washington from NJ

I think your best option is to take a bus or train into Manhattan. It is easy to do from New Brunswick.... and then from there you can get bus or train transportation to D.C.

http://www.greyhound.com/

megabus.com

boltbus.com

amtrak.com

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel to washington from NJ

You can take Amtrak Metroliner or Acela Express train from MetroPark (Iselin) to Union Station in Washington DC. If you can't drive at all, there's a train station in New Brunswick that you can start from. The trains stop in Philadelphia if you are interested in exploring our most historic city along the way.

Have fun, LuvBreezes

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: travel to washington from NJ

NJ Transit train from New Brunswick to Trenton then Amtrak to Washington DC from Trenton. Some Amtrak trains stop at Princeton Junction which is closer to New Brunswick but Amtrak service is more frequent to Trenton.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel to washington from NJ

Some Amtrak trains also stop at New Brunswick. That said there is no need to back track to manhattan.. To be more flexable I would take NJ Transit from New Brunswick to Trenton. From there You can get an Amtrak to Washington. Here are a few links.

www.njtransit.com

www.amtrak.com

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28951-i77-k296347…

Edited: 21 September 2011, 19:18
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel to washington from NJ

Thanks AERULES, broadwaynyc and LuvBreezes, much better information than what I gave!

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,635 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel to washington from NJ

No problem.

Edited: 21 September 2011, 23:13
NJ
Level Contributor
767 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel to washington from NJ

Amtrak from Metro park. You can take a NJ transit train to Metro park if need be. It's easy & relaxing.

NJ
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: travel to washington from NJ

I agree with the previous post, take the NJ transit train from New Brunswick to Metropark (10 minutes). Then take the Amtrak from Metropark (Iselin, NJ)to Union Station in DC. You can book Amtrak on line or at least check on the train schedule. Then go to the NJ transit train website for the train schedule (North East Corridor Line).

www.amtrak.com

www.njtransit.com