We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

Cairo
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

Hi,

I am going to NY in two weeks and was checking about shopping outlets, and came across articles that say NJ has no sales tax on cloths and shoes. So does this mean shopping from Jersey Shore Outlet will be cheaper?

Thanks!

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

It is true that NJ does not tax clothing or shoes (they will tax belts, purses and other accessories). The Jersey Shore Outlet (in Tinton Falls) is pretty far from NYC . There are outlet centers closer, such as Seacacus, and Jersey Gardens in Elizabeth. I'm not sure what the tax laws are in NY, but I think for some items taxes only apply after a certain purchase price.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

Yes, there is no sales tax on clothes in New Jersey. As to if shopping is cheaper it depends on if the basic cost is the same. If so, then buying here in New Jersey will be less expensive.

Will you be renting a car? I'm not sure if Jersey Shore Premium Outlets can be reached by public transportation.

Maybe you mean Jersey Gardens.

http://www.jerseygardens.com/

Edited: 01 December 2011, 18:29
Cairo
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

We will be renting a car and also booking a night or two at Courtyard Tinton Falls, so communting won't be an issue. However, I was more concerned if you buy the same clothing item from Woodbury or from Jeresy Shores, will it really be less just because there are no taxes in NJ?

I know NY has no taxes on items less than 55$ and I also read the leather items, accessories, etc.. are taxable in NJ.

I've checked Jersey Gardens as well and it look nice, do you recommend it?

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
852 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

One thing about high end clothing in NJ. Sales of clothing and accessories that are made of fur from the hide or pelt of an animal that is valued at $500 or more are subject to a 6% Fur Clothing Gross Receipts Tax.

Work, Beach or...
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

if you are staying in Tinton Falls anyway, I would recommend you shop at the Jersey Shore Outlets. If it's the Courtyard on Route 66, you'll be really close. Even the Courtyard on Hope Road is only a few miles away. They're nice, only a couple years old, and have a good variety of stores. There's also a lot of stuff that seems close to retail prices, but at this time of year you should find some really good bargains. Be prepared for the holiday shopping crowds; if your schedule allows, shop there during weekdays.

Have fun, LuvBreezes

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,350 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

Woodbury Commons and Jersey Shore Premium Outlets are part of the same chain of outlet malls which carry the best brands. Woodbury Commons is bigger.

Jersey Gardens is a hybrid--it's mostly a low-end shopping mall, with some outlet stores mixed in. So I would put it low on my priority list. However, it's very close to Newark Airport and it has a VF Outlet, which has very low prices on the Wrangler, Timber Creek, Lee, Nautica, and Jansport brands.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

Woodbury sure is nice. Nice store fronts, in a village like feel. Add the 8.75% tax, the drive/tolls or bus fare to get there and you may question why you went there.

I enjoy Jersey shore outlets, or even jersey gardens. Unless you want something from a particular store that woodbury has, I'd recommend saving the money and the tax.

8. Re: Woodbury Outlet or Jersey Shore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 23:17