We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

TLV
Level Contributor
47 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

Hi,

I'm going to US for 8 days in the end of March. (5 days NYC and then 3 days in Boston)

My wife has a relatives in Lake Hopatcong, NJ. We were thinking to stay @ their place in order to save a "few" $ for accommodation...

I was thinking to rent a car and to drive from Lake Hopatcong to some where west to Hudson (Haboken, Union City, etc...) and to park there for entire day and then to enter into Manhattan with public transport.

Could you please recommend not to expensive and safe parking place in the mentioned areas ?

Thanks

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

I would just drive into NYC...Check out www.BestParking.com for inexpensive parking garages....

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

I think if your main goal is to see NYC you shpuld stay in NYC. Lake Hopatcong is about an hour and half each way from NYC give or take.. I think any savings staying at your cousins will be eaten up by your transportation costs.

TLV
Level Contributor
47 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

SusieQQ - the parking + crossing the Hudson river to Manhattan might be to expensive vs the option I asked (parking in some west river bank and going by public transport

AERULES - I've already did the math - 8 days for car rental will cost me aprox 480$ (actually the addition to hiring car for Boston trip is about 220$)

The cheapest hotel in Jersy is around 750$ including tax for 5 nights, the transportation to NYC from Jersy is the same here as from parking place.

Then all I need to add is the parking for 4-5 days (10-12$ per day ?)

and the petrol for these 4-5 days...

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

I didn't say stay at a hotel in New Jersey. IMO parking in Hoboken or Union City is just as bad if not worse than Manhattan. Plus there is so much to do in New Jersey. Here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.tourism.visitmonmouth.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

Edited: 04 February 2013, 15:23
TLV
Level Contributor
47 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

I think I missed you... :)

Our plan is to visit NYC and to leave the car in NJ during the Manhattan visit

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

There are many train station and bus parking lots, but I'm not familiar enough with any of them to give you good advise for parking....I know the ones near me and it is hard to find parking in them. Many of the parking lots fill up very early with permit /commuter cars.

Hopefully someone will read this and know of a parking lot that would be a convenient location for you coming from your area of New Jersey.

A good option for you might be the ferry in Weehawken...

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

Most NJ Transit lots require a permit.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

I agree that you might enjoy saving five nights hotel costs. But you should ask your relatives how long it takes to get to the West bank of the Hudson on a business-morning day. The entire length of the trip, including Route 80 and Route 280, not to mention 495, can have staggering traffic. Since the trip is at least 50 minutes without considering traffic, give the matter some thought.

I am retired now, and frequently drive to the North Bergen (bus) Park And Ride lot for New Jersey Transit. It is rather hard to find, considering it's right under Route 495! One day's parking and a bus round-trip for the driver is currently 9.50, and I think the passenger's bus tickets are about $5.50.

I consider this a bargain, since midtown parking could easily reach $45, and take another horrible 45 minutes in traffic to go 3 miles. One problem is that the Exclusive Bus-Only lane through the Lincoln Tunnel closes at 10:00AM sharp. The bus might hit residual traffic on a "bad" day.

9. Re: Places to for parking on the west Hudson's side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 06:16