We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Jersey to New York

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
New Jersey to New York

We ate flying to NJ to visit Carlos Bakery. We will be staying in the Poconos in PA. We want to spend a Saturday in New York. We have a rental car booked. We were planning to start the day off riding the Station Island Ferry, then going to Times Square and possibly a Broadway show in the afternoon. We were wondering if you knew where on NJ we could get on the ferry to Staten Island and is there day parking around there to leave our car? Next were do we exit the ferry to get to Times Square? Never been to NYC before.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Jersey to New York

There is no ferry from New Jersey to Staten Island. Plus there is plenty to do in New Jersey besides Carlos. Here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.tourism.visitmonmouth.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

Edited: 22 February 2013, 22:38
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Jersey to New York

It is helpful to know there is no ferry. Thank you.As for the bakery, that's the whole purpose for our trip in the first place. Silly to some I know.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Jersey to New York

The ferry goes from Staten Island to lower Manhattan so it would not be convenient for you to use. I believe that someone previously gave you information about using PATH from Hoboken. But, to be perfectly honest, if it were me, after visiting Carlos' I would just drive into NYC, park in a garage and do all the things you have planned. If you are confortable driving into Hoboken, then you should have no problems driving in Manhattan, it is actually easier to navigate in the City than in Hoboken.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: New Jersey to New York

Our trip has changed a bit. Going to Carlos straight from Newark airport on Friday. You have me concerned about driving in Hoboken. Is there a better way?

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Jersey to New York

Rent the car once you are ready to leave nj

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Jersey to New York

If you are used to driving in city traffic then you should be fine in Hoboken. Manhattan is easier because most of it is a grid. Bring a GPS or rent a car with one.

To get from Newark Airport to Carlos' by public transportation, take the Air Train to Newark Airport Station, then get on any NJ Transit train towards New York Penn Station. Get off at Secaucus Station. Get on NJ Transit Main/Bergen county Line towards Hoboken. Get off at Hoboken and walk about 5 minutes to Carlo's.

www.njtransit.com

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,187 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Jersey to New York

And wear comfortable shoes. The line at Carlo's is lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Jersey to New York

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are getting our car at the airport though. We will have a GPS. My husband will just have to do his best to find parking. I suppose we will take the PATH into NYC and use public transit for the day.

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: New Jersey to New York

We switched our plans to Friday instead of Saturday to avoid the long lines. Hopefully it will be better.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Jersey to New York

Have a great time! And how about a trip report when you return?