We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

Hi... We are staying at travel inn hotel on west 42nd street....google maps says we can avoid tolls and avoid the spaghetti new jersey turnpike by taking the holland tunnel out...is it true there are no tolls this way ? Any ideas on the easist way out of manhatan to freehold ?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

There are no tolls leaving the city on any route, but you will be taking the Lincoln Tunnel, not the Holland.

Google maps is wrong in suggesting the routes in the order listed. The New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) route will be the fastest. Route 9 is very, very slow. Lots of traffic and lights. Google Maps sees that it is labeled a a "US" route and uses a higher speed than you will actually be able to travel.

If you choose another route, you will be using the Garden State Parkway for part of the trip, and that has tolls also. Some you pay when you get on, as you drive along, or when you exit. Have quarters ready.

Don't try to avoid the toll roads. It will take you much longer to get to your destination.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

If I were doing it I would take the Lincoln Tunnel to the NJ Turnpike. Getting off in New Brunswick onto Rte. 18. Then I would skip the Rte. 9 exit and go a little furhter to Rte. 79 into Freehold.

Trying to avoid tolls will not be worth the time and trouble. You don't pay for the tunnerl leaving NYC and then you will have tolls on the turnpike.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

Thanks...we are unsure whether to get a toll transponder through alamo max cost $13 not including the tolls where its just paid by our credit card or just pay tolls with cash....we are staying a nite at woodbury commons in central valley before coming down to new york...google maps says easiest way is across george washington bridge or should we go thru abe lincoln tunnel to get to west 42nd..note we have free parking at oir hotel

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

so im geting the avoid route 9 at all costs vibe here ? by the way its guna be tough as im from new zealand and will only have had 5 days experience driving in usa....although im very experienced in nz and have multiple heavy licenses and 100s of thousands of kms

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

so im geting the avoid route 9 at all costs vibe here ? by the way its guna be tough as im from new zealand and will only have had 5 days experience driving in usa....although im very experienced in nz and have multiple heavy licenses and 100s of thousands of kms

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

Yes, you do want to avoid US 9.

The toll transponder (EZ Pass) could save you a lot of time, especially on the Garden State Parkway (GSP), which you will use to and from Woodbury Commons. Be sure to look for the "EZ Pass Only" lanes (on all toll roads). You won't save money, but the time savings and convenience, especially on the GSP is worth it, IMO.

In terms of GW Bridge vs Lincoln Tunnel- it all depends on traffic on the various roads leading to and from, as well as traffic on those connectors and in NYC. Tune your radio to 1010 AM for frequent traffic updates.

Edited: 03 March 2013, 14:26
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

I wouldn't get the transponder -- at $13 will cost as much or more than the tolls themselves, and it won't save you much anywhere near as much time as you might think, in my view, whether on the NJ Tunrpike or the Garden State Parkway. And if you are not doing this during rush it it won't save you any time at all, not in any meaningful sense.

Re Lincoln tunnel vs GW Bridge, I tihnk it will be a bit easier if you take the bridge because then you go straight down 9A (Henry Hudson Pkwy) to 42 st, if you take the Lincoln tunnel it's a big more confusing, but in truth, if as someone said, if traffic is bad on one just take the other

Edited: 04 March 2013, 13:27
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
176 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

well when i looked at our trip that takes us from boston down thru enfield .new york .freehold .allentown .hershey .arlington...pentagon city ..doswell and finally williamburg and norfolk....google maps has us going thru at least 33 toll or partial toll roads so do u really think the transponder wont be worth it ? and dont some roads have no cash option for the tolls ?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,194 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way out of west 42nd street to freehold .new jersey

All toll roads have a cash option

I didn't realize you're going on such an extensive trip. If it's $13 total then it's not a bad deal