We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
NJ Roadtrip Ideas

I got a cheap flight to Baltimore in early April and, since I've only spent a minimal amount of time in New Jersey (when I was a kid and at EWR), I thought I should try to explore the state a bit. So I have four days, including drives from Baltimore, a rental car and no real idea of what to do.

I know I would like to get to the ocean at least once and I would like to see the Delaware River Gap. I'm not interested in gambling, not really interested in Civil War sites, doll museums, or staring at colonial furniture. I do enjoy architecture, local craft beer, contemporary art, photography exhibitions, live music, interesting or unique food, natural environments and activities, and interesting urban neighborhoods.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could spend doing on my long weekend?

Thanks in advance!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Well, to visit the Shore and The Water Gap will require some driving but it can be done. I would go to Asbury Park, that will give you live music, the ocean and an interesting urban neighborhood. Perhaps stop in Princeton for architecture and a nice small art museum and then head out to the Water Gap for you interest in nature....

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,822 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Bushkill falls would be an attractgive waterfall to visit not too far from the Water Gap.

The most interesting restauant at the Water Gap is ANTELAO, on the Pa side.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 18:28
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

The most natural oceanfront area is Island Beach State park. But it'll cost you $5. Even in April. It's 10mi long of barrier island beauty. You may even see a fox or 2

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Actually, for some reason fox are commonly seen along the Jersey Shore. I had friends who lived on the ocean and fed them on their beachfront deck. I've seen them here in Loch Arbour...

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

I've seen fox in AC too. But nowhere near as tame as Island Beach where they approached my SUV in a parking lot. And I took photos

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,909 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

These links should help. One of mya favoriatres that is not listed is Fort Mottt State park in Pennsville

ww.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.tourism.visitmonmouth.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

You'll need more time, but you have what you have. I would think Cape May is a must see. in the south you also have AC for music near there the Forsythe NWR and Noyes musium. how about a paddle in the pine barrons? you have the Gap on you list. More urban spots hoboken, Newark ironbound ,Princeton. You will have plenty of info to sift through.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I guess I should have looked at a map before posting, because it didn't really occur to me how far north the Water Gap is. I may have to save that for next time.

I like to go to state capitols when I can, so I'll definitely be stopping in Trenton. Any other things to do there aside from museums? I may stop at the farmers market.

The way I have it planned now, I'm going to take the train to Wilmington, where the car rental is less than half the price than that of BWI. I'll probably stay the first night in Philadelphia suburbs and ride the train in at night to go look for beer. Next day, drive to Trenton and Princeton, then stay somewhere near New Brunswick. Next day, drive down the coast to Island Beach, then to Atlantic City, and stay there (hotels are cheap) or near there. Next day, I'll only have a few hours in the morning with the car, so I'll probably just slowly cut across South Jersey to get back to Wilmington.

I would really like to find some small cities to check out, even on the fringes of the NYC metro. Newark may be a little too far.

Also, any ideas on where a good area to stay on the second night would be?

Thanks again!

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,983 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Instead of staying in the New Brunswick area , head east from Princeton and overnight along the Shore. Suggestions: Ocean Grove, Spring Lake, Sea Girt, Asbury Park. And then head south on the Garden State Parkway to AC.

Philly
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NJ Roadtrip Ideas

Post #8 says you want to take Septa at night for beer. 2 things, 1 most of Septa is done by 1am, the last trains run is done by 1am and bars close at 2am. 2 Pennsylvania has beer distributors where the smallest you can buy is a case, thay are privately owned, their hours do vary, and a lot of them deliver but it depends on the owner if they offer sameday delivery. Some bars have carryout beer, and it costs a lot more, the most carryout you can take from a bar is 12 beers.