We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

Whitby, ON
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

Hi All,

My family is going to be visiting NYC this summer. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive, family friendly hotel that is a close bus ride into the city? We will be staying for a week, so we would like to keep the cost down.

Thanks so much!

Donna

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

How many of you are there? Bus travel will cost you about $8.50 round trip per adult, so it adds up.

I suggest that you post your dates of travel, exact budget and how you're getting here (driving, flying) on the NYC forum -- perhaps someone there will find a deal for you in the city.

Most of the NJ hotels that are on a good bus route are located in Harmon Meadows in Secaucus along NJ Transit bus #320 -- here's a map of Harmon Meadows which lists the hotels http://www.harmonmeadow.com/map/HMmap.pdf -- if you read reviews here on TA of the various hotels they will all have comments on whether the bus was satisfactory

There are other hotels in other ares (e.g., Rutherford) that also have decent bus service but I'm not so familiar with them

If you do go with bus travel, be sure to buy a round trip ticket from the driver on the NJ side (they accept cash and make change) because you MUST have a ticket to board in NYC -- drivers in NYC will not accept cash.

However, if your budge allows, it's better to stay in a NJ hotel thats near a PATH train -- PATH is a subway that goes between NJ and NYC (and is not related to the NYC subway). That's why you should post the information I mentioned at the top in the NYC forum -- the experts there are very familiar with such properties

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

Here is a web site that gives you a summary of hotels near NYC and commuting information.

www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

Funny, I had trouble reaching that URL before and thought it had been taken down but now it's back working

That's a good site indeed

Edited: 20 March 2013, 15:20
Whitby, ON
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

Thanks very much for this wonderful information! I will post on the NYC site as well with more info. Gotta love these forums!

Take care,

Donna

Whitby, ON
Level Contributor
49 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

Awesome site! Thanks a bunch!

Take care,

Donna

6. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 17:40
Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

I think if you min goal isto see nyc you should stay in NYC

8. Re: Inexpensive Hotel close to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 05:16