We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Here's a question for a North Jersey resident or worker who often flies out of JFK (or a taxi driver who plies that route). I'll be driving from Parsippany (near the I-80/I-287 interchange) about 11am on Sunday, June 23. My destination is one of the parking lots along South Conduit by JFK airport. The most direct route would be I-80/GWB/Whitestone/Van Wyck, but in addition to possible Long Island beach traffic it's Old Timer's Day at Yankee Stadium so I'd expect even-worse-than-usual congestion crossing the GWB. Can anyone give an informed opinion about whether a southern loop would be better, via Staten Island/Verrazano/Belt Parkway? And if so, how best to get there from my starting point, considering the various possible routes and the likelihood of Jersey Shore beach traffic heading south? I don't care about tolls; I just want to keep moving as quickly as possible and get to the airport parking lot by 1pm. Thanks!

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,138 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Is your flight to ohio?

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Hi. You can take 287 South to the NJ Turnpike and get off on exit 13 (for Verrazano Bridge) and take 278 E towards the Belt Parkway. Take exit 19 and follow signs for 878 which will lead you to the airport.

You may run into traffic on 287 S. It would be best to stay either in the middle or left lane until you hit the turnpike (the exits for the parkways are before the turnpike so the right lane may be backed up).

I think the trip would be around 2 hours.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

In North Jersey, invariably, the best route is the one you didn't take.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

No, if I was flying to Ohio, I'd be heading for EWR or PHL, not JFK!

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Wow, PrettyNJMomma. You really think it would be quicker to stay on I-287 all the way to below the Turnpike/GSP Woodbrige interchange and then head back north? That's a lot of extra miles (and beach traffic). I figured the choice was basically between an I-280 approach vs. a Rte. 24/I-78 approach to the Turnpike, then south to Exit 13. Is there something about those routes I should avoid?

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Hi FBTreebranch. I digress (I am near Parsippany but on the 287 side so that would be my choice). I am not sure about 280 but to get on 78, you still have to get on 287 and drive a ways. I got some general directions from mapquest on a more direct route - Rte 46 to Rte 80. The trip should be an 1 hour and 7 mins. I pasted the directions below. Hope this helps. BTW, before you head to the airport, you should listen to 101.5 FM. They play traffic updates for all the major roads in Jersey every 15 minutes.

1. Start out going east on US-46 E

2. Merge onto I-80 E via the ramp on the left toward Paterson/New York. (16.2 mi)

3. Keep left to take I-80 Express Ln E toward I-95/New Jersey Turnpike/G. Washington Br. (5.4 mi)

4. Take the I-95 N exit on the left toward G Washington Br/New York City. (0.5 mi)

5. Merge onto New Jersey Turnpike N (Portions toll). (3.7 mi)

6. New Jersey Turnpike N becomes I-95 N (Crossing into New York – 6.2 mi).

7. Merge onto I-678 S via EXIT 6A toward Whitestone Br (Portions toll – 14.6 mi).

8. Take the exit toward Terminal 1 2 3. (0.1 mi)

9. Keep right to take the ramp toward Terminal 1 Arriving Flights/Terminal 1 Departing Flights. (0.05 mi)

Piscataway, New...
Level Contributor
312 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Hi. I gave you a mouthful but didn't answer your question. If you choose to go on 78 or even 280, you should be OK. The major roads going towards NY are only a pain during rush hour. Again, make sure you listen to the radio first for any major accidents or road closings.

Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

Thanks! I'll definitely be tuned in to 101.5 before we leave!

new york
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
8,482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

I would also suggest I-287 to Route 24 (a highway) to I-78 to Route 1&9 (or Turnpike) to I-278 to Verrazano Bridge to Belt Parkway.

You can also get traffic updates every 10 minutes on the local AM news channels:

880 WCBS

1010 Wins

10. Re: Best driving route from Parsippany, NJ to JFK Airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 06:18