We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new jersey to new york train?

Cleveland, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
new jersey to new york train?

Hello everyone, this is my first time going to New York,I am planning to drive from Cleveland to New Jersey on a Tuesday and stay at a hotel there( cuz NJ is cheaper) and on Wednesday i have an interview at 8am(in NY) so need to take a train to New York(1901 First Avenue , New York , NY 10029 at 97th Street) the other interview on a Monday 8 am at 111 East 210th Street, Bronx, NY 10467).I have no idea where to start looking.I tried to look at the trains stations and schedules but i am just so confused.Can any of you please tell me where i should stay(train station in NJ that is closest to New York) and any recommendations for a hotel? And what train i should take to and where i should get off?Any advice would be appreciated.Thank you very much in advance.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new jersey to new york train?

Where, exactly, are you staying? And what days are we talking about -- I'm confused on when you arrive and what day's your interviews are

Edited: 06 November 2013, 16:45
Cleveland, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: new jersey to new york train?

hey there, i still do not know where i will be staying.I am looking to stay at a hotel next to a train station in NJ that is closest to NY(from my interview places).I am trying to plan my trip according to the information i collect and according to my budget which is limited.I will leave Cleveland on the 20th Nov,interview is on 22nd and 25th respectively.I am still trying to find a train that will take me to my interview places.I am sorry my questions are so vague but i am genuinely confused regarding the train?Thank you for answering.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new jersey to new york train?

OK, here's what you need to know. The train that will get you from NJ to NYC is the PATH subway which has no relation to the NYC subway

www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

You would need to stay at one of the Jersey City Hotels that are near a PATH train (ie, look for hotels in Jersey City, NJ). Also, the Holland Motor Lodge is walkable to a PATH train and includes parking (I believe) and may be more reasonably priced

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46531-d496569-…

PATH gets you to 33rd street, right next to Penn Station, where you would pick up a subway to get to your job interviews. You can use google maps to plot your trip using public transportation and I've done it for you for the first interview you mention here

http://tinyurl.com/nr7t6dr

Note that you need to take a subway and a bus

There's also a ferry between Weehawken NJ and Manhattan but I don't think that will be convenient for you, over all.

Your second location is easier to get to, being right on the D subway train:

http://tinyurl.com/ptr9m3h

Another option is to stay further out and take a NJ Transit Train into Penn Station. I can't suggest places to stay, though, as I don't know the outlying areas that well. Maybe someone else can come up with a location

Here's the NJ Transit web site: www.njtransit.com

Now, all that being said, you should still post your dates and budget on the NYC forum and mention that you'll be coming by car to see what they come up with. There is one manhattan hotel that includes parking (Travel Inn) and another that has reasonably priced parking for guests (Skyline Inn) -- both are about a 10 min walk to a subway

Edited: 06 November 2013, 18:00
Cleveland, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: new jersey to new york train?

wow @livesinnewjersey i am blown away by your response, i am using tripadvisor for the first time to ask a question and wow i feel sooo good....i cannot thank you enough for the effort u put into this response....you even google mapped my first interview trip for me???woah....thank u thank u....thank you everyone...i am in love with you all:)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new jersey to new york train?

Glad to help and good luck with your interviews

If you can change your interview times to late morning or afternoon it will be easier and also more realistic to stay at an outinig NJ community that is on an NJ Transit train route. Taking NJ Transit then subwyay all by 8:00 AM looks hard

Another option, which I should have mentioned, is to drive into the city. For interviews at 8:00 am you'll have to leave pretty early anyway so why not stay near Manhattan and drive in by, say, 6:30 am. You'll beat all the traffic at that hour. There are inexpensive places in:

Paramus

Fort Lee

that are just minutes away from the George Washington Bridge and it won't be that hard for you to drive. I would strongly recommend this as being easier overall if you don't want to stay in NYC

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,485 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new jersey to new york train?

I want to give you an example of what I'm talking about. The Garden State Plaza Mall is in Paramus and there are some inexpensive places near there so I arbitrarily picked the mall as your starting point

http://tinyurl.com/mvg5bpm

In no traffic (which will be the case at 6:30 am) you can get to your first destination in less than 1/2 hour

Now, it might cost you 30 bucks to park in a lot but you can't have everything -- in any case, use this web site to get parking coupons that could reduce your parking expense considerably http://nyc.bestparking.com/

Cleveland, Ohio
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: new jersey to new york train?

Thank you for your wishes @livesinnewjersey.....i am seriously considering just staying at Bronx or somewhere midway between my two interviews.You are absolutely right in saying that it will be all rushed if i decide to commute from NJ for my IV which starts at 8.00am.Thank you again.I could not have come to this conclusion if not for your great help. I will still look into the hotels,parking coupons you mentioned.YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

Edited: 06 November 2013, 19:14
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
653 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new jersey to new york train?

I assume the Bronx interview is at Montefiore Hospital? The #4 stop at Moshulu Parkway (next to last stop) is only a few blocks away. not a bad area at all.

Oh, as far as hotels, you'd be better off staying in Yonkers or Riverdale (Bronx), not far from there at all.

Edited: 08 November 2013, 17:56
9. Re: new jersey to new york train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2014, 06:18