We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

I am shopping for best price for a rent Mini-van in NY/NJ for 3 weeks. Best price I found was Avis/Budget Route 23 Wayne, NJ

It looks a bit far from our hotel in Secaucus NJ, but the price is very tempting, so worth the 20mile trip

However I looked the place up on Google maps and it looks so small, so I am afraid if get there they may have very limited choices (I only need a good condition car as we plan to drive to Orlando and back-not picky with color or anything like that)

Has any one tried them?

One more point: if I change my mind after I got the car and want to drop off at JFK instead of "same location" how should I handle that?

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

That 20 mile trip could take 90 minutes (traffic can be terrible on Route 23), and how will you get there? Car rental companies very often do not have the type of car you reserved, so you are correct in thinking that a small facility may not have what you need. Another factor is that prices change very frequently, so it pays to keep shopping. Be sure that you specify that you will be leaving the NJ/NY area. Most rental contracts (not all) limit you to a specific geographical area, and there is sometimes an additional charge for allowing you to take the vehicle elsewhere.

There will always be a fee for dropping off at a different location. Not much you can do about it.

The drive to Orlando will be about 24 hours. How will you handle that? Are you stopping somewhere for the night?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,726 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

Also check if they charge for an extra driver.

Re the JFK drop off, ask them. Do not assume anything

And do you have US car insurance? If not you'll have to buy it and that's qutie expensive. Most foreigners find it best to arrange an all inclusive package from a broker like carhire3000.com

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

Wawooo. You make it sound tough... Ok one by one...

Getting there: have no idea. I still have time to figure that out. (If I decide on that shop)

Driving to ORL: yes we plan to stop on the way obviously. One night half way... Just the night so where is not important. As long as it's a comfortable place.

Re the insurance: Priceline sells one at a daily rate of $11 per day, so plan to buy that.

Will check out the website you advised.

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
8,620 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

Be sure to get Collision Damage Waiver as well as Liability insurance. You will need both. Try Enterprise Rent A Car. They will deliver the car to you, and their rates are usually in line with the others.

5. Re: Rent car from Avis, Wayne, NJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2015, 06:17