We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

Hi, hope you can help. We're a family of 4 from the UK (boys 15 & 17) on a 3 week road trip across 10 states! Having spent a few days in NY late July, we're picking up our hire car in the morning from Newark Airport, heading towards Toms River. I thought a break at the coast would break up the travelling and allow us walk the boardwalk and maybe sit on the beach for an hour or so. I was thinking Jenkinsons Boardwalk near Point Pleasant? Island Beach State Park looks nice too, but is a bit further down and will possibly be full by the time we get there mid-late afternoon (we travel on a Friday). What are your thoughts on Seaside Heights or Manasquan? We're off to Six Flags the next day, so not especially worried about thrills, and will just have had the buzz of NY, so really looking for somewhere to chill for a few hours. Also, somewhere that is easy to park up and safe to leave our suitcases in the car! Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
Point Pleasant Beach
Point Pleasant Beach
Jersey Shore, NJ
Seaside Heights
Seaside Heights
Jersey Shore, NJ
Manasquan
Manasquan
New Jersey
Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

>>sit on the beach for an hour or so<< The NJ Shore has beachtags at nearly every beach http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_tag This link appears to be up~to~date with prices www.newjerseyshore.com/beach-badges.shtml [look at daily prices]. I am not attempting to dissuade y'all from visiting a seaside town, boardwalk & beach. Since it wont be a full day at the beach, my suggestion is to review the prices in making your decision, since ii may be a short time on the beach

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

If you are headed to Toms River, then you need to pick a beach north of it, not south....there are lots of options...

The only one with boardwalk attractions (rides, games,etc. )is Pt. Pleasant...one that has attractions, but not rides is Asbury Park (pinball museum, small water park, mini golf, swan boat rides, food, etc.)...

If you just want to walk on a boardwalk and spend time on the beach then Long Branch, Bradley Beach, Avon-by-the-Sea, Belmar, Spring Lake would be good (Spring Lake is the nicest).

A beautiful area without boardwalks, but nice beaches and history is Sandy Hook National Seashore.

Just be aware that all of these places charge to go on the beach (not much though).

more Questions? Just ask....

Mentioned in this post
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
Asbury Park
Asbury Park
Jersey Shore, NJ
Long Branch
Long Branch
Jersey Shore, NJ
Bradley Beach
Bradley Beach
New Jersey
Belmar
Belmar
Jersey Shore, NJ
Sandy Hook
Sandy Hook
Jersey Shore, NJ
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

I forgot about Ocean Grove....you might find it an interesting place to stop...it is a Methodist Camp Meeting Town...lots of Victorian Houses, The Great Auditorium, Tent Community, a boardwalk, too...it is a National Historic Site which is called "God's Square Mile"...

Mentioned in this post
Ocean Grove
Ocean Grove
Jersey Shore, NJ
NJ
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

If you just want beach, island beach is the place to go. first you pay by car load only that is probably going to save you money. when the beach gets "full" it is generally reopened by 2 or 2:30 pm, (i used to work there a million years ago, things haven't really changed) It was ALWAYS open by 3. And closure is usually weekends not weekdays. I will warn you though that traffic could be an issue as there is road construction that has thrown a wrench in normal traffic flows. The garden state parkway has signs telling you the status of the park, ie open/closed. If it is closed, you still use the same exit for seaside park and seaside heights. those beaches never close.....Island Beach is one of the prettiest beaches in NJ, heck a good part of the eastern USA (IMHO) I usually consider point pleasant boardwalk for youngsters, seaside heights for older youths/young adults.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

Jellybably, I just read your other post on the Pennsylvania Forum...I'm confused...are you heading to Toms River or Allentown, NJ?

Mentioned in this post
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
Allentown
Allentown
Pennsylvania
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

Hi MaryGo3. We are going to Allentown (cream ridge), but the kids are desperate to eat at a Bahama Breeze and the only one viable on our whole trip is near Toms a River so I figured we could detour (yeah sad I know!). Our travel day from NJ to Allentown has nothing to do, hence prepared to give in to kids and also head down the coast. I just thought it would be easier to say Toms River on Forum! I looked at the places you suggested and Spring Lake and Oceans Grove look good. I guess we don't have to go on the beach, and can just park up and walk along front? We just wanted to see the sea on our trip as we head inland after this day. Thanks for your quick response too!

Mentioned in this post
Allentown
Allentown
Pennsylvania
Toms River
Toms River
Jersey Shore, NJ
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

OK, now I see...I've never heard of Bahama Breeze....but I understand if your kids really want to go there!

Both Ocean Grove and Spring Lake are good places to walk the boardwalk and around town and sit on a bench and enjoy the Ocean front....they are small and easily walkable...and in fact the boardwalk extends for many miles along the coast and goes through multiple towns.....you could walk from Asbury Park the whole way until the end of Spring Lake...about 7 miles...the boardwalks are all connected.

Edited: 26 April 2014, 15:47
Mentioned in this post
Ocean Grove
Ocean Grove
Jersey Shore, NJ
Ocean Front Motel
Ocean Front Motel
407 Reviews
Ocean City, NJ
Asbury Park
Asbury Park
Jersey Shore, NJ
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

Hi pal0242. Thanks for info, I do really like the look of these beaches, but it will add another hour overall on our travelling. Good to know though that usually empty at 3 as we could always make a call depending on how our day goes, I didn't want to head straight there and find it full! We will be there end July, do you think/know if roadworks might still be on then?

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

"Walk the boardwalk and town, sit on bench" - exactly what we're looking for. I think we might do that and skip actually going on beach to save some $ for ice cream instead! That said, Island Beach looks very pretty, but it is even more out of the way. Maybe we'll have to make the call on the day and see how we feel.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beach for an afternoon visit?

A much closer natural beach than Island Beach State Park but with similar beaches (and much more such to do) is Sandy Hook. It is part of the National Park Service...and as with Island Beach there is a per car charge to get in...

nps.gov/gate/…thingstodosandyhook.htm

Edited: 26 April 2014, 16:42
Mentioned in this post
Sandy Hook
Sandy Hook
Jersey Shore, NJ