We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Day Trip

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
13 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
A Day Trip

My family of 8 adults will be traveling to Orlando in early November. We have a 24 hour stop over in Newark (staying at an airport hotel). We arrive around midday at Newark airport and hope to be able to get into New York and see 1 or 2 of the sites. We would love to see the Statue of Liberty and Times square and anything else along the way would be a bonus. Any tips on transport and how we should map the day out, for the easiest and quickest way to get around would be amazing. Thank you for your help!

port republic
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Day Trip

take a cab to liberty park and the boat to liberty island (ellis island also if you like) on your return "accidentally" get on the boat returning to lower manhatten. Once there use subways or cabs to tour manhatten, enjoy some dinner and when you're done take the PATH train back to newark and a cab or shuttle back to the hotel

New Jersey
Level Contributor
414 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Day Trip

The SOL ferry out of Liberty State Park first stops at Ellis Island to drop off and pick up passengers.

It then goes to Liberty Island (SOL) to drop off and pick up passengers and then returns to NJ.

If after seeing the SOL and you wish to go to NJ take the ferry that goes from Liberty Island to Ellis Island (not the one to NJ). At Ellis Island stay on the ferry while they drop off and pick passengers. When it leaves Ellis Island it goes to Battery Park in NYC.

Leaving NJ and then ending in NYC is allowed and even mentioned on Statue Cruises website.

Just realize once the ferry goes back to Liberty State Park of to NYC you will not be able to use the ferry to go elsewhere.

Tour NYC and when ready, depending on where your hotel is you could take a NJT train or take the PATH to NJ and tehn either a cab or maybe the hotel would provide a shuttle.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Day Trip

I would skip the Statue of Liberty - it will just eat into your rather short day. Getting tickets, waiting at security, taking the boat, etc, will take a lot of time. You won't have time to get into Manhattan to do anything

I recommend dumping your bags at the hotel, getting the hotel shuttle back to the EWR, then get on the Airtrain to NYC ($12.50 per person each way). Airtrain takes about 30 min to get to mid-town Manhattan

Reverse the process to get back

panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochur…

same info presented in a different format www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Day Trip

Greetings!

Spot on advice, from LivesinNewJersey, he is absolutely correct about trying to see the Statue of Liberty, with your limited time period.

I hope this info helps.

port republic
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Day Trip

I do Not agree with the last two posts. If you want to see the Statue, see the statue. the views over lower manhatten from the ferry are spectacular (hope you get great weather) You have all afternoon and evening.

once back at the airport hotel there is nothing to do. and you're not going to do anything in the morning before the flight. Your original idea Statue, times square, maybe something else(dinner?) is not too much and is manageable enjoy

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,766 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Day Trip

For a good way of just seeing the statue, try one of the cruises out of the South Street Seaport.

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

…shutterfly.com/media/…

They even serve drinks on board at a small cash bar.

Pjk

Princeton Junction...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Day Trip

You could also see the sights in NJ besides the Statue. Have dinner in the Ironbound section of Newark just east of Penn Station. Here is a link

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Day Trip

Greetings!

Stretch's Italian Restaurant, 12 Bloomfield Ave. Bellview. I have headed to Stretch's while awaiting flights. Simply the best!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
13 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Day Trip

Thank you all for your great advice :) We can't wait

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,094 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Day Trip

Greetings Michael,

I should have posted 'The Belmont Tavern' We have called it Stretch's for so many years, one forgets. The Belmont, has been written up in the media, for it's wonderful food for years, it even has a ZAGAT rating.

I hope this helps.