We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Mexico Weather - March

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
88 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
New Mexico Weather - March

I am planning a trip to New Mexico and have no idea of what to expect for weather. Will plan to visit the northern part of the state - Taos, Chimayo, Acoma, etc. after starting in Alb. and SF. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Mexico Weather - March

I'm going to reply in general terms; some of the local experts for Northern NM may want to add on to this.

1.The secret to being comfortable outdoors in NM is to dress in layers.

2. Altitude plays a major factor in weather; the higher you go, the cooler it gets. If you want to experience a pretty extreme example of this, take the tram (or the road) from Albuquerque to the top of Sandia Crest.

3. Nights will be cool; expect a wide swing in temperature between day and night.

4. A hat, sunscreen, and a water bottle are a good idea at any time of year.

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Mexico Weather - March

WINDY! and yes.....dress in layered clothing....expect sudden changes in weather, i.e. sun, wind, rain, sleet, snow, sun. And that's all in one day!

Did i say wind?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Mexico Weather - March

You didn't say "when" you were planning to come eurotraveler, but I have a simple solution.

Just go to www.intellicast.com

Search whatever town in NM you're planning to visit. We'll just take Albuquerque for instance.

When you get to the Albuquerque weather page, you'll notice beside "Links to:" such webpages as "Forecast," "Radar," and "HISTORIC."

Click on Historic, and you can then put any date of the year in for Albuquerque, etc., and it will tell you the normal high and low for that date...historically. Doesn't mean it won't be different when you come though. :-) The others are right. Dress in layers. At altitude, in anything but summer, you'll need at least a light jacket or sweater. Albuquerque is a mile high. Santa Fe and Taos over 7,000ft! Snow "in" the mountains is not uncommon in late Spring, or early Fall.

Intellicast's "do it yourself" weather-finder has proved invaluable to me while planning my own trips to areas of the country I'm unfamiliar with. I hope this helps you also.

If this is your first trip to New Mexico, you'll instantly know, as Dorothy knew, "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto!" Or, Massachusetts!

I'm glad you're taking in Taos/Taos Pueblo...a must for a NM visit. May I suggest, if you have a couple days for the Taos area, you also drive the "Enchanted Circle": Taos to Angel Fire to Eagle Nest (side track 10 miles east through Cimarron Canyon & back to Eagle Nest), north to Red River, and on west to Questa, returning to Taos. Don't miss the Rio Grande River Gorge Bridge on US64, just a few miles NW of Taos! Six-hundred feet above the river! Unless your acrophobic!

Enjoy your visit!

4. Re: New Mexico Weather - March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 14:20