We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is New Mexico our vacation spot for 2008?

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
674 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is New Mexico our vacation spot for 2008?

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decided where to go our 9-10 day 2008 summer vacation. Last summer we went to Colorado, the summer before we went to South Dakota. We LOVED both trips. My kids will be 12 and 14 next summer. My concerns are, will the kids enjoy it and will it be just too hot? When we were in South Dakota in 2006, there were record breaking temperatures (as much as 114 degrees). The only thing that saved us was the total lack of humidity. We enjoy short hikes (no more than 2 miles round trip), but again, if it's too hot, we won't be able to handle it. We enjoyed white water rafting and horseback riding and climbing the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado, but I don't know that we would want to do the same things 2 summers in a row. I'm looking into both New Mexico and Northern California right now, but I'm pretty much open to anything. I thought that New Mexico would be more affordable than CA. My only previous experience in New Mexico was 20+ years ago when I drove cross country. At that time, I believe we only drove through on the highways, and didn't actually spend any time there. My husband and I would definitely love to go, but, as I asked before, will the kids like it?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,281 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is New Mexico our vacation spot for 2008?

New Mexico is a huge state and lots to see and do. Depending on when you are here and which part of the state you are in, yes it can be hot, though usually not that many days over 100. Not much humidity here either, actually much drier than South Dakota.

Albuquerque has lots to see and do, Sandia Tram, Petroglyph Nat Mon, Zoo/Aquarium/Botanic Gardens, museums, hikes, golf etc. Also a baseball team, the Isotopes has games in the summer. www.itsatrip.org

Santa Fe has lots of shopping, great dining and also many museums. Bandelier Nat Mon and Pecos Nat Mon are both close and the mountains are right there to hike, bike etc. Rafting, horseback riding etc. www.santafe.org

Other towns/cities include Taos, Silver City, Las Cruces.

Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, Elephant Butte Reservior, El Malpais Nat Mon, El Morro Nat Mon are other places to vist. www.newmexico.org

I'm sure I am forgeting a place. Search through the posts here on the forums and ask more specific questions as they come up.

Enjoy.

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
674 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is New Mexico our vacation spot for 2008?

Thanks, Casa. I've been very busy reading this board, along with a couple other for the last month or so. As I get more specific questions, I'll be sure to ask!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
576 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is New Mexico our vacation spot for 2008?

hi

we have been 'out west' several times when our kids were that sort of age - they were a bit older by the time we got to new mexico

it will be hot no question but equally you will enjoy it

that said, id say our kids favourite places were

las vegas

the grand canjon

moab - esp for arches and the white water rafting

4. Re: Is New Mexico our vacation spot for 2008?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:18