We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to choose?

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
what to choose?

Hi experts. We are planning a trip to New Mexico and Arizona this summer. Want to see the most important sites -- our interests are in History, culture, natural environment and more. So much to choose from, what do we do and what can we leave out? We will be in the two states for 3 weeks.

We are two middle aged adults who are perfectly comfortable doing lots of walking, etc.

Should let you know we are saving the Grand Canyon and area for another trip. Also, my husband seems determined to hit Monument Valley. So..... help please!!!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to choose?

Albuquerque (my home) is not generally on the tourist list unless it is Balloon Fiesta (late Sept. early Oct.), but if you're flying in, it is where you will start. If you intend to spend any time in Albuquerque, I recommend a ride on the world's longest aerial tramway to the top of Sandia Crest. Once at the top, you can hike around until your hearts content and enjoy spectacular views of the city below. My wife and I often make an afternoon-early evening of this and watch the sunset (not to boast, but we have some of the best I've ever seen). Just west of ABQ is Acoma Pueblo and "Sky City", I highly recommend this tour if you're interested in native New Mexican culture. No trip to NM is complete without spending a little time in Santa Fe, "The City Different" roughly an hours drive north of Albuquerque. Here you will enjoy numerous historical sites, art galleries, museums, great dining, and shopping on the Plaza. From Santa Fe, it is only a hop, skip, and a jump to Los Alamos and Bandelier National Monument. Bandelier is nestled in the beautiful Jemez mountains. Here you will walk around the ruins of Anasazi cliff dwellings, which are really a site to see. Further north is Taos, a quaint little town set in a mountain environment, which in the winter boasts some of the best skiing around. From late April through mid June, the white water rafting is 2nd to none. The Taos Pueblos is also worth a look if you're up there. These are just some ideas, there is just so much to do in New Mexico, especially if you love the outdoors. Unfortunately I can't be of much help when it comes to Southern and Eastern NM, as my work and recreational activites usually take me north.

Cheers!

Kitchener
Level Contributor
998 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to choose?

Thank you Desertdiver. Albuquerque is certainly on our list and always has been. I was wondering about Taos peublo. Is it really worth seeing or is this very tourist oriented? Skycity is a 'must see' as is Santa Fe. Further advice, and where to stay in your town, would be very welcome. We will be driving, so we can go where and when we want.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to choose?

As far as places to stay, depends on what you're looking for. Two major interstate highways run through the center of Albuquerque and there are your typical hotels all along as these stretch through ABQ. These range from Motel 6 and Super 8 budget accomodations to Marriot, Hilton, and Hyatt, to everything in between. If you're researching and you come across Route 66 hotels/motels (these will be on Central Ave) don't bother. Unfortunately what once used to be quaint road side/road trip motels have turned into not much more than "rent by the hour" seedy joints if you know what I mean.

If you're looking for something more unique, I have a recommendation:

Los Poblanos Inn - Charming Inn/B&B on 25 acres of gardens along the Rio Grande. If I remember correctly, accomodations are roughly $150 - $250 per night depending on type. In my bartending days, I catered a number of events here, and it is wonderful. Rio Grande Blvd is one of the most beautiful drives you can do through ABQ, as it is along the river and very lush and green; it is quite a contrast to the rest of our high desert landscape. I have also put up my in laws here, and they loved it. Just up the road is the Casa Rodena winery, which is worth a visit. Also, down the road a bit is the Flying Star, a local coffe/pastry/breakfast joint; good eats!

You can google this and find more information, and would also recommend taking a look at the following website:

http://www.abqbandb.com/

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to choose?

Oops, almost forgot; I've never been to the Taos Pueblo, so wouldn't know what to tell you on that. When I'm in Taos I'm usually skiing, rafting, or mountain biking.

New Hartford...
Level Contributor
159 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to choose?

If you're going into AZ and in the Monument Valley area, I highly recommend Canyon de Chelly, often overlooked. The scenery is incredibly beautiful and the Navajo culture is fascinating. There's a nice but inexpensive lodge in the monument called the Thunderbird which makes for a good overnight stop. There's the option of horseback or jeep rides through the canyon, and/or a beautiful but not too strenuous hike down to the White House ruin. You can easily combine this trip with a visit to Chaco Canyon, which is also really interesting, though in a much more stark landscape.

New Castle, PA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to choose?

To GUNDI: Los Poblanos is a MUST STAY if you can get reservations at this time. Ask for the Field Suite. We stayed in the first week of June and hope to return.

The pueblo at Taos was a complete disappointment; perhaps the dreary weather added to the feeling but it isn't something we would race back to.

The Inn of the Anasazi and Santa Fe Hotel are both excellent choices in Santa Fe.Try Il Piatta for dinner and Guadalupe cafe anytime.

If you are going past Winslow AZ stop at the restored railway hotel La Posada.

We hope that you enjoy your travels.

7. Re: what to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 11:19