We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flagstaff to Socorro in January

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,560 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Topic
Flagstaff to Socorro in January

Driving to Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge from Grand Canyon in January and was wondering should I do I-40 to Albuquerque and south !-25 or more cross country on I-60. What is the weather like in JANUARY? Snow, how warm does it get? I asume there are still lots of birds at Bosque del Apache

National Wildlife Refuge?

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flagstaff to Socorro in January

I-40 and I-25 are your best bet any time of the year. The other route over US 60, is a two-lane winding road most of the way. Any weather over the Continental Divide could close this road for a short period of time, where I-40 very seldom gets completely closed. Yes, the birds will be there, probably until late February or early March

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flagstaff to Socorro in January

US-60 is a beautiful drive, especially in the "warmer months," and through Arizona...but in January I'd stick to I-40 & I-25. The Continental Divide crosses I-40 between Gallup and Grants, NM...so you can get into snow along this route also if Mother Nature chooses to mess with you. We are expecting snow over Northern, and Western New Mexico tonight and into tomorrow. It is always advisable to check the weather up ahead before you leave...just in case.

January is the peak for Bosque del Apache's migratory residents. "If" you want to see it at its best however, you need to take in a late afternoon and sunset, and overnight in Socorro. Then return for the sunrise, and hour following sunrise for the full "Nature" experience, and to see the most birds. (They fly off to feed during the day...but the fields at the far north end of the "Figure 8" drive, almost always have large numbers of snowgeese and cranes, especially late in the day)..

Have a safe trip.

3. Re: Flagstaff to Socorro in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2010, 06:16