We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique and unusual places in this state

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Unique and unusual places in this state

Hi guys I'm going to be traveling through New Mexico state and I would like to visit some unique and unusual places similar to ie. Grand Canyon, Bonneville salt flats, meteor crater in Arizona etc. Please let me know if you know of any interesting places worth visiting

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

OK here is more info so you guys don't think that I'm doing some kind of school project. I have family visiting from Europe and I want to impress them and show them how beautiful North America is. There are going to be 4 adults on the trip driving from Vancouver, Canada to Las Vegas then to San Francisco. Trip will last about 3 weeks and we plan to stay in Vegas no more than 3 days and San Francisco 2 days. We will be driving through 8 states Washington, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, California and Oregon staying at local motels. We want to see as much as possible what is on the way. We are all in good physical shape and are not scared to hike, walk and climb. I have checked guides for each state and picked out some interesting places but I also want to find some less known off beaten path places that only locals and true travellers would know about. I hope this answers some of the questions. Thank you guys for all your time.

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

I think you've got a pretty tall order here.

I did a quick lookup on Google Maps and found that the fastest route from Vancouver to Vegas to San Francisco is just under 2000 miles (and does not include any travel from SF back to Vancouver). Figuring 250 miles/day, that means the trip would take 8 days to drive-- never mind any side trips for sight-seeing.

This route goes from Vancouver to Seattle to Yakima to Kennewick to Boise to Salt Lake City to Provo to St. George to Las Vegas to Bakersfield to San Francisco-- and is offered only as an example. This route doesn't take you any further east than Provo, UT, so you'd be at least 100 mi. west and 200 mi. north of *any* point in New Mexico and would barely clip the NW corner of Arizona.

If your relatives haven't been to North America before, they may not be prepared for the large distances between places of interest and the amount of time to be spent in the car getting there, especially the out-of-the-way places you'd like to visit. I think you might want to scale this down to something less ambitious.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

Now you know more less my route I don't have to stop in every state, I will pick only most interesting sites.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,381 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

In Northern NM places to visit include Santa Fe, Taos, Bandelier Nat Mon, Pecos Nat Mon, Petroglyph Nat Mon, Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, Aztec Nat Mon, Chaco Canyon, Bisti Badlands, El Malpais Nat Mon, El Morro Nat Mon.

In Southern NM Carlsbad Caverns Nat Park, White Sands Nat Mon, Very Large Array near Socorro,

I think that NM may be a bit too much to do with all the other places you want to see. I would consider WA, OR, CA, NV and AZ visiting the big national parks and some smaller national monuments and state parks.

www.nps.gov will give you all the places you will want to see.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

I can’t give first hand advice, but I can recommend a book. I’ve been reading an excellent book titled Off the Beaten Path New Mexico by Richard K. Harris. It’s part of a series, and I believe there is one for each state. Once you know which states you will be traveling through, check them out. We are planning a spring trip, and it appears that New Mexico is blessed with a large number of offbeat, unusual, and fun things to do – I can’t wait!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

Although I love to encourage people to visit my state of New Mexico, I too think you may have too many miles to cover in 3 weeks time. If you just stay in Washington, Oregon, California, and Nevada, you will then have the "time" to actually stop and enjoy some of America's western wonders.

The western U.S. is "BIG!" I hope you'll double-check the miles between the different areas, and pick out the highlights of each in which to spend your valuable time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

Yes, even if you do NM at all, you may have to limit your trip to Northern NM. That would include places like Taos, Rio Grande Gorge, Abiquiu/Red Rocks, Bandelier NM, Pecos NM, Santa Fe, Tent Rocks (just south of SF). NW NM also has 4 Corners region, Chaco Canyon, etc. These are all semi-tourist but you may find some "space" there, too.

8. Re: Unique and unusual places in this state

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2010, 05:19