We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for home base and points of interest...........

Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for home base and points of interest...........

Hello friends!

I will be travelling by RV to the hills co.in texas and I'd

like to extend it to New Mexico.In your opinion,which will be the

place to make home base to see the points of interest,(I do realize

the state is huge and with many places to see).Many thanks for your input.............caravallo.

Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for home base and points of interest...........

I think it would be very helpful to all generous posters familiar with NM and many specific areas in NM to know what are your interests and list some of the points of interest you have in mind. Where are you traveling from, when, how many days are you planning to spend in NM?

Edited: 21 January 2010, 18:30
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for home base and points of interest...........

I agree that your "interests" are paramount in providing advice to you. But, I will say most of the highlights vis-a-vis tourism in New Mexico are divided into the North, and the South. The "middle" is mainly in the "boonies."

In the South, you have Carlsbad Caverns National Park, and White Sands National Monument as the star attractions. In between, you have some beautiful mountain scenery between Artesia, NM and Alamogordo. Cloudcroft, at 9,000ft. elevation in the pines of the Sacramento Mountains, offers some great RV camping sites.

Northern New Mexico has the bulk of the mountainous scenery in New Mexico on the other hand, and Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Taos are perhaps its stars. Santa Fe would be midway as a base, and there is a very nice campground just east of Santa Fe, off I-25.

Come back again for more detailed information if you have particular areas, or sites you are interested in seeing.

P.S. The Texas Hill Country, west of San Antonio and Austin is very beautiful also. Especially the great lakes, and great fishing.

Edited: 21 January 2010, 22:45
Mentioned in this post
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
White Sands National Monument
White Sands National...
3,286 Reviews
Alamogordo, NM
Artesia
Artesia
New Mexico
Alamogordo
Alamogordo
New Mexico
Cloudcroft
Cloudcroft
New Mexico
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Taos
Taos
Taos County, NM
Texas Hill Country
Texas Hill Country
14 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Austin
Austin
Texas
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for home base and points of interest...........

Texas hill country is a long way from New Mexico. For example, from San Antonio to far easter New Mexico is over 500 miles. So, you would need to decide if you want to travel that far to see our beautiful state. Carlsbad Caverns is probably another 60 or so miles from the Texas-New Mexico border, and White Sands even further. Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and northern New Mexico, another 200-300 miles.

Mentioned in this post
Texas Hill Country
Texas Hill Country
14 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
New Mexico
New Mexico
United States
Texas
Texas
United States
White Sands
White Sands
New Mexico
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
4. Re: Best place for home base and points of interest...........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 07:17