We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

So looks like NM it is. We were thinking of going to Ireland and it is quiet funny that I ended up in copying a trip report from a guy in Chicago that is a DE for Dublin. Guess who I will ask questions when Ireland comes along maybe next year!!

So Keith - read most of it and actually downloaded it to One Note to take with me. I did read the first one in full and the second one about 75%. I am still learning One Note :(

Still not sure what all we will do - but we will get in the car and drive - first stop Carlsbad (maybe 2 nights) then maybe ABQ (maybe 3 nights) and SF maybe (4 or 5 nights - 2 might be in Taos). Then on the way back maybe Roswell.

The non smokers motel sounds like a good deal - so we might try that. Not big into B&B's - so have an eye on a few hotels / motels in SF. I am sure we will do less than half of what Keith accomplished. The earth ship thing sounds interesting (Taos).

Plan to leave around the 22nd - might leave a day early and stop in San Antonio. Although I will dread the drive out of Texas - the fact I don't have to go through an airport - can change plans at a moments notice - is worth it. Cost of gas will actually equal 2 tickets to ABQ. But will save on the rental car.

I guess I did not really have a question but at the same time did not want to bump up Keith's Trip report post - or maybe I should have done that LOL.

Lot of good information - thanks all. If I have any specifics will ask.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
New Mexico
Roswell
Roswell
New Mexico
San Antonio
San Antonio
New Mexico
Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

Well this made me smile! Actually, I leave for Ireland in 3 days! And then I leave for Albuquerque in 52 days. And then again in 73 days. And then back to Ireland in 115 days.

Glad my TRs might be a help for you. NM is simply great and I think you'll love it!

I'm also visiting Carlsbad and Roswell on my trip later in the summer. Reallly looking forward to them.

Keith

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Albuquerque
Albuquerque
New Mexico
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
New Mexico
Roswell
Roswell
New Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

Unnecessary bump? Just fun to see this and see Keith. (It seems like it's been slow here recently for all.) I did trip between Carlsbad and San Antonio (continued on to N'orlens) many years ago. Not much in between. Long drive. Stayed on the river walk in SA, but Carlsbad Caverns made so much sense to me on a cross-country trip in that direction. You will have a few options about route between Carlsbad and ABQ. One suggestion would include Lincoln. Also look for a hamburger in (smaller) San Antonio south of ABQ. I even found a nice place in Carizzozo for a stop and a eclectic restaurant in Capitan (new owners since). I've been known to skip air travel for long cross country drives (even with price of gas and kids) for some of your same reasons. Have a good trip.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
New Mexico
San Antonio
San Antonio
New Mexico
Capitan
Capitan
New Mexico
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

Thanks - yes we were thinking of Lincoln and White Sands but heard that Lincoln is completely shut down. At this time all we know is fill up the tank and head to Carslbad Fri morning. Looks like we will be in ABQ Sun night and then to SF / Taos Wed and no real plans. Saw another trip report (not read it yet) hope I will be able to have access to TA (internet access) on the go.

Mentioned in this post
White Sands
White Sands
New Mexico
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

Lincoln National Forest is closed, but that should not apply to town of Lincoln.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

Oh okay - When you said Lincoln assumed you meant the National Park (I know never assume) - so I guess what you are saying is town on Lincoln is worth a visit - will add it to the 'things to do list". - Thanks

6. Re: Trip to NM - read both of Keith's reports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2012, 05:17