We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we revise itinerary?

midwest
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Should we revise itinerary?

Hi,

I'm back again asking questions about the New Mexico part of our itinerary :) I thought we had it pretty well set but, the fires may have put a kink in some of our plans. We will be in the area the first week of August.

What do you suggest we do now? What changes would you suggest?

OLD ITINERARY

Sunday--

-drive through Abiqui area from Ouray, CO on the way to Chimayo, NM

-stay in Chimayo

Monday--

-Bandelier Park

-White Rock for overlook of Rio Grande

-Los Almos nuclear museum

-stay in Chimayo

Tuesday--Santa Fe all day

-Farmer's market

-walking tour on own

-Plaza

-4 historic churches

-Capitol building

-Barbara Bowles studio

-shopping

-Folk Art museum

-nice local dinner from my list of places found here

-stay in Chimayo

Wednesday--Taos all day

-take Low road (route 68) to Taos, stopping at towns and galleries

-visit Taos

-visit Taos Pueblo

-visit churches

-nice local dinner from my list of places found here

-return to Chimayo via High Road (route 76)

-stay in Chimayo

Thursday--

-feast day @ Kewa Pueblo

-Tent Rocks

-stay in Chimayo

Friday--

-leave Chimayo

-Balloon museum Albuquerque

-Old Town

-nice local lunch from my list of places found here

-return rental car and fly home from ABQ around 5 pm

Visit Chimayo and its church in between other visits

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,778 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

I think your plan is just fine, with the exception of the 2 national monuments, Bandelier and Tent Rocks that are still closed, not sure when they will reopen.

I think the Los Alamos museums have reopened but I would call them when you get here. Right now it is still smoky up there and busy with firefighting personnel

midwest
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

Thanks for the opinion, CasaAzul.

What would you suggest we swap for the planned Bandelier and Tent Rocks time?

And, do you think our plans for the day in Santa Fe are doable and well planned?

Edited: 10 July 2011, 20:24
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

We recommend cutting the entire western part of the trip out -- in other words, don't even go to Los Alamos or attempt to drive the roads in and around there. It's so hard to say this, but the town remains in "disaster" mode as the fires have passed and rains are forecast. Driving all that way just to see the one museum would seem to be a big investment in vacation time.

Spend more time visiting Santa Fe or Taos, or even go south of Santa Fe to Madrid for a day trip. Consider adding a trip to Ghost Ranch or Abiquiu. Make reservations to visit the Georgia O'Keefe home there.

Consider slowing down your schedule, taking off your watches or otherwise losing track of time for a while so that you can get into the rhythm of the region. Pack a picnic lunch and drive somewhere away from the bustle.

The Race Course section of the Rio Grande is still open for business and will almost certainly still be in early August. It's primarily a float trip at that time of year -- scenic and wonderful.

Horseback trips in and around Taos Ski Valley are on as is the Llama Trek that remains top-ranked on Trip Advisor for the entire State of New Mexico.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 19:20
midwest
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

Hi Taos B&B,

Thanks for your ideas. We're going horseback riding earlier in our trip in Colorado and the Llama trek is quite expensive for us to add though it sounds fun :) We're going through Abiquiu on our way into New Mexico from CO.

If we need to drop Tent Rocks from Thursday ( we also go to the feast day at Kewa Pueblo on Thursday), do you have a suggestion as to what we might add before/after Kewa Pueblo that's in that general area?

Budget is a consideration for us. We like to do most anything but, the men (husband and son) can only stand so many museums (I could do them all day long). We're an active family and like to hike, bike, love the water, love nature and animals...

Maybe we should just spend the entire day on Monday (when we we supposed to go to Los Almos and Bandelier) looking around Chimayo and the area close to it.

Any suggestions for that day?

Thanks for the help in replanning parts of our New Mexico stay.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,778 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

You could visit Coronado State Monument in Bernalillo www.nmmonuments.org/inst.php?inst=4 before you go to Kewa. Also a drive out to Pecos Nat Historic Park about 1/2 hour east of Santa Fe would be an option to replace Bandelier. Also south of Santa Fe toward Madrid is Cerrillos Hills State Park http://www.cerrilloshills.org/

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

Pecos National Historical Park is an excellent suggestion to replace Bandelier! If you go, I highly recommend participating in one of the 90 minute tours offered daily at 10am (included in the price of admission). I found that it really opened up my understanding and enjoyment of the site.

http://www.nps.gov/peco/index.htm

Keith

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

It's just so hard to tell if anything will reopen in time for your trip. I've heard some areas will not reopen this year at all.

Depending on where you're staying, the proprietor of your Inn should be able to help with day trip ideas.

Wish I could be more specific.

midwest
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

Thanks for the suggestions. We will take a look at them and I'll get back with questions :)

9. Re: Should we revise itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 13:16