We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ojo Caliente Springs

australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Ojo Caliente Springs

Having been spoilt by brilliant answers from this forum, I am back again. We have been agonising over accommodation choices, basically we have four nights to spend in the Abiquiu, Ojo Caiente and Chimayo areas, in between a night in Sante Fe and 2 nights in Taos. We were originally going to spend a couple of nights at the Abiquiu Inn but the cheaper room option is now gone.

So my question is: How viable (and nice) is it to use Ojo Caliente Springs as a base for exploring Georgia Okeefe country? We can only afford to stay i the hotel part of the spa. I have read many reviews and it sounds lovely. Is the restaurant there the only option, is there also some good authentic New Mexican restaurants near there?

I then thought we could have a night at Casa Escondita in Chimayo before heading up to Taos. Would love to hear your opinions, thanks so much.

ernestoc
Level Contributor
2 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

We highly recommend the stay at Ojo Caliente...the hotel is a cool old historic structure...the waters are included in the fee and take the time to enjoy the spa... The food at the restaurants is also a pleasant surprise. there is also a day time taco place just outside the resort and spa. plan to relax and slow down!!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

I do think 4 nights in the Abiquiu area is a bit much, especially since you will only be in Santa Fe for 1 night, I'd add at least another night to Santa Fe. There are restaurants in Espanola, but that is at least 1/2 or so from Ojo.

Northwest of Ojo is El Farolito Cafe in El Rito. Very good, but very much a local spot.http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1749 Also Rancho de San Juan Inn is a high end place near Ojo. http://www.ranchodesanjuan.com/

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

If there were a viable business (B&B) in the Abiquiu area, we would be there. That's because that little place has more to do in it than just about anywhere else in the state. Sure, go to Santa Fe if that's your thing, but since you can use any of those other places as your base, why not just visit it briefly?

When we visit the Mineral Springs it's all about the stepping out of time. That means all that "other tourist stuff" just melts away and our focus shifts to the landscape for hikes and day trips in the area. Ghost Ranch via the westerly State Highways out of Ojo Caliente, the Christ of the Desert Monestary west of Ghost Ranch, the Chama River beside the road to the Monestary, Tierra Amarilla in the Fall where the weavers are finishing their master works for show around the globe, Taos is just a short 45 minute drive away now and the landscape again predominates before you arrive.

Santa Fe, in the context of an extended trip to Ojo or Abiquiu, is a different trip -- a side trip that may ruin the vibe of what you've already go going. Do it another time.

Edited: 03 September 2011, 15:10
Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

Ojo is a great place to use as your base. The drive distances and times are about equal to all that you might want to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

Personally, I prefer Abiquiu. Ojo Caliente is OK (I'm a spa-type) but not my favorite. They have tried to upscale but it is still rather funky (or course if you like that, there's nothing wrong with it). It is also in a relatively inconvenient area. So is Abiquiu, but the area is already O'Keeffe area. There are a few B&B and lodgings:

http://www.lasparras.com/

http://www.oldabiquiu.com/

and Ghost Ranch (also funky but beautiful surroundingsm including where GOK lived and painted on site) has overnight lodging for anyone. Call them.

http://www.ghostranch.org/

I have stayed at Casa Encondita and it was nice, also closer to SF and Taos.

australia
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

Once again, thanks to all of you for the advice, it has been sooo helpful. I have just finished booking it all....phew!

Ended up with 1 night in Santa Fe, 1 night in Chimayo (very excited about the lovely old church and the great restaurant!), 2 nights in Ojo Caliente, 3 nights in Taos, 1 night in Las Vegas (NM), and a final night in Alburquerque.

I don't think anywhere will feel long enough to stay because there is so much to see and do, but this will cover a fair bit.

Casa, I really wrangled with the extra night in Sante Fe, but when the Sage Inn didn't have an extra night available, I decided to just go with that, and Band B lover's post made me feel much better about the decision! NYNM, funky is just fine with me, so Ojo Caliente should be great, will be visiting Ghost ranch and hope to get in on the walking tour. Thank you all for taking the time to reply, will probably be back again with more questions, and definitely keeping an eye on the forums.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

I think you have a great plan! You will get to visit some awesome places.

While in Chimayo you can drive part of the high road to Taos up to Truchas. The Milagro Beanfield War movie was filmed in the area. Also in Chimayo make sure you stop at Ortega's Weaving Shop http://ortegasweaving.com/

There is a prehistoric pueblo ruin just outside of Abiquiu that you may want to visit. 100megspopup.com/photo4phood/…poshuindex.html

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

I also like your plan! You have spread it out, so you will get a real feel for the whole area, rather than just the larger towns.

Today I drove up to Los Alamos during a brief rain shower, and again remarked how beautiful it is here. You may also enjoy riding out to Los Alamos, but using the turnoff to Rt. 4 and go to White Rock instead, seeing the incredible gorge

sangres.com/newmexico/losalamos/overlook.htm

and perhaps Bandelier.

9. Re: Ojo Caliente Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 15:17