We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to New Mexico end of March

Ann Arbor
6 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to New Mexico end of March

Couple looking to travel to New Mexico end of March for a week. We are looking for a nice mix of activities and relaxation. Looking for beautiful scenery, maybe some hiking, and a nice relaxing hotel, and a place that has some nice restaurants. Any ideas?

Albuquerque
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to New Mexico end of March

Take two days in Albuquerque so you acclimatize. Albuquerque has a great set of foothills trails at the Ellena Gallegos Foothills Park at the base of the Sandias good for an evening to sunset hike.

The Bosque (river woods) has a relaxing bike/hike path close to the New Mexico State Park Rio Grande Nature Center...(Weekdays may have some school groups) Great in the AM www.nmparks.com. The new Albuquerque Museum is a must see for overall historical review and surprises on new exhibits. B and B's in the valley are worth a look. Flying Star Cafes are our middle of the road choice in Albuquerque...especially if you have some time to visit Nob Hill area (Central and Carlise for some shopping or an alternative resturant choice such as Yannis, Scalo's.

Third Day take the backroad to Santa Fe going east thru the canyon on I-40 aka Turqouise Trail and drive to Santa Fe

Check out the State Capitol Building for great art as well as Museum Hill. Get a map to the Dorothy Steward or Dale Ball trails and stretch those legs for an hour or two. Dinner at ...most food on Canyon Road Get a good night sleep.

Fourth do a day trip to Taos and return to Santa Fe...Find some culture at the Lensic or film houses

Fifth Trip to Los Alamos Spend a few hours at Bandelier National Monument. Go to Los Alamos, grab a Starbucks and Check out the Bradbury Musem. PM head up on the hill to Valle Grande..Take a walk along the East Fork of the Jemez.. Stay at a B and B in Jemez Springs along the Jemez Creek.

Sixth.. Make reservations at the hot springs for a PM soak/experience. Pack a picnic lunch and grab a fishing rod and temporary license at La Cueva Junction and go to Fenton Lake State Park for a real relax.

Seventh If you did not stay another nite in Jemez springs...come back to Albuquerque and Walk the downtown area and in the PM go and travel up to the aerial tram (I didn't mention the reservations you needed to make earlier?...Go up to High Finance Resturant for either dinner or drinks and soak in the sunset....

WELCOME TO NEW MEXICO

R. Steve.

Oakville,Ontario Can
Level Contributor
134 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to New Mexico end of March

I just read the post which suggested you take two days in Albuquerque to acclimatize. Yikes. I would so not do that! I love Santa Fe and have always flown in to Alb. from Camada in order to get to Santa Fe. Because of timing we normally have to spend the night in the city before going to Santa Fe. Both my husband and all of our friends who have stayed in Alb. were very disappointed with the city. The "Old Town" was just awful...the architecture so lovely and yet filled with junky touristy shops selling stuff you'd never want to take home with you. I say spend a night in a nice hotel in Alb. if you have too and leave the next day in order to have more time in Santa Fe. I've been a number of times; I went by myself one year and stayed overnight in Alb. in order to do some shopping the next day. That was nice but I can't imagine why anyone would want to stay more than a day there! Hope this helps get you re thinking that portion of your trip. Santa Fe has SO much to offer and I believe you should spend as much of your holiday there.

Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
474 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to New Mexico end of March

Hi Sophie/Simon - I am assuming you will be flying into Albuquerque and that you have never been to New Mexico. If I am right, rent a car and drive to Santa Fe. No need to stay in Albq. You can catch the Sandia Tram on your way back to fly out. You sound like the atmosphere in Santa Fe would be more to your liking. There are many hotels around the Plaza with tons of restaurants. Some of the hotels have spa amenities. Very romantic. There's plenty of hiking around the Santa Fe area. Or go to Bandelier. Art galleries and museums for indoor activities. Go up to Taos for a day trip, several wineries you could stop at on the way. Or take the high road to Taos, it's absolutely breathtaking. But be careful driving. Another thing, March can be very windy and have major temperature changes. Check the weather channel before you go. Have a great trip!

albuquerque
Level Contributor
1 post
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to New Mexico end of March

Rangersteve -- you mentioned there are a great set of foothills trails at the Ellena Gallegos Foothills Park at the base of the Sandias good for an evening to sunset hike. We have company coming in to ABQ to visit (in April) that want to hike and are only moderately experienced . Are the foothills a good bet for them? Where do you connect up with Ellena Gallegos Foothills Park? (We are new to ABQ ourselves) --

Does anyone have recommendations for Spring hiking for these family members? Any recommendations for horseback riding?

Thanks!