We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mothers Creamtion wishes

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Mothers Creamtion wishes

My mother's creamation wishes are to be spread in the beautiful mountains of New Mexico. She lived there many years ago (about 39years ago). She loved the beautiful mountains and left a note to spread her ashes there if possible. I'm not sure on the laws or restriction, if there are any. I don't know the land I was an infant when we moved. She lived in Capitan. Are there any mountains there? Where is the most beautiful mountain in NM? Could I get there in aa vehicle Thanksgiving week 2011? Snow? Any ideas on granting my Mom's wishes would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,388 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

My condolences on your loss.

Capitan in located in the southern central portion of New Mexico, about 3 hours from Albuquerque. Lincoln National Forest is in that area. There are generally no laws against spreading ashes, some states do not allow this. I have found no rules here in New Mexico. http://www.fs.fed.us/faq/#question8

The most beautiful mountains are all over the state. The Sandia mountains are right outside of Albuquerque and there are places on the eastern side that you can drive up in the winter. In Cibola National Forest. Thanksgiving can be snowy most places in the higher mountains of Northern New Mexico from Santa Fe to Taos. Right now I'm still seeing a little snow, I'm not sure about Capitan area.

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

Our friends who have spread the ashes of loved ones here in Northern New Mexico have typically waited until Summer or early Fall when all the roads are passable to the most beautiful places. We don't recommend trying to access the most scenic or beautiful places over Thanksgiving weekend because of road conditions -- specifically, that most of the really special places are along Forest Service roads that are probably going to be snow-covered this year. Most destinations above 9000 feet in our region have already had several feet of snow.

Since snow is already in abundance in most places here in Northern New Mexico, you can stick to paved roads, although we wouldn't recommend spreading a loved-ones ashes along a highway.

You'll need to be very well acquainted with the roads that we would recommend and you would need to know how to navigate a vehicle and walk or traverse in moderately deep snow. If you are still interested, we can recommend some via e-mail or through TA's messaging system.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

My condolences also. I find it touching that you would wish to try and accomodate your mother's wishes to be returned to New Mexico. Having lived here so long ago, she obviously had a special place in her heart for the state, as we who live here now share.

If you come all this way, I would think that your first choice of a proper place, would be in the environs of Capitan, which is north of Ruidoso. In mid-Winter, this area can have a lot of snow, Ski Apache being in between Ruidoso, and Capitan. Getting from Albuquerque to Capitan should be relatively snow free however, as there are no mountains in between.

It would all depend on current conditions over the Thanksgiving holidays. I would doubt that the area around and west of Capitan would have all "that much" snow before the heart of Winter arrives in December through February.

You can keep up to date on conditions in the area via the Ruidoso Visitor's Bureau.

http://www.ruidoso.net/visitors/capitan.htm

If convenience needs to play a part, the backside (eastern slopes) of Albuquerque's Sandia Mountains are heavily wooded with pines, and a good paved, scenic highway passes picnic areas, and the Sandia Ski Area, to the crest at approximately 11,000ft. elevation. I know of a friend's father who also wished to rest at their favorite picnic area behind the Sandias...this allowed a specific "place" for his family to return to in the ensuing years to be with dad.

Best wishes, whatever your decision. I hope you can spend some time in New Mexico to aquaint yourselves with your mom's pleasant memories.

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

Ok I need some more information. I'm driving from Houston to New Mexico to do this. I will have a 9 and 12 year old with me as well as 2 of my sisters. Any ideas on things to stop and do, where to sleep over, driving conditions, and do forth would be helpful information. I'm leaving on 11-19 and staying until 11-24ish then heading back. Thank you for all the information so far.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

Assuming your headed toward Capitan and surrounding mountains? I've driven from your direction and you could easily stop at Carlsbad Caverns. (Take 285 from Fort Stockton.) Everyone says the Holiday Inn Express in the town of Carlsbad is best choice to stay. You could head north toward Roswell. If going to Capitan be sure to take children to Lincoln township (Billy the Kid). Couple of nice B&Bs there. In Capitan, there's Smokey Bear Park and the Smokey Bear Motel may be only choice. (There used to be a VERY nice restaurant in Capitan but it's been years.) You may want to stay in Ruidoso. Many choices but I've usually ended up at the Inn of the Mountain Gods for one reason or another. Pretty mountain town. Travel should be great all the way but you never know once you get in the mountains.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Albuquerque, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

That stretch across West Texas is long. We traveled from Carlsbad to San Antonio and that's a long drive. (8 hours?) I didn't see much in between but I do remember a Walmart super center in Fort Stockton.

Jenks, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
132 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

First, my condolences.

Scattering ashes on public lands is not permitted without the express consent of the governmental agency with authority over the site.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,388 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

Tulsacubfan... scattering ashes is allowed on public lands unless they have rules against it and National Forests, BLM do not have any rules (unless the state they are in bans the scattering). Some places to require a permit, most do not. Grand Canyon NP in Arizona does require a free permit. We have scattered (and buried) family in Colorado National forests.

Elgin, Oklahoma
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

Any ristrictions on the Organ Mountains? We lived in Organ off Highway 70 in the 60"s and my mom wanted her cremains spred there.

Colorado
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mothers Creamtion wishes

Capital is in beautiful area of mountains, although winter canbe iffy!

My sincere sympathy for your loss. You are to be commended for honoring your Mother's wishes.