We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farmington or Raton

Dublin
Level Contributor
71 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Farmington or Raton

We are driving from Durango to Colorado Springs later this month and have a spare day. We would like to see a little of NM. We would love to go down to Santa Fe but I don't think we have time to do it justice and would end up feeling short-changed, so we are thinking either Farmington or Raton. We have a day and a night to spend there. Would anyone recommend one over the other or perhaps a different suggestion altogether? We love scenery/open spaces, shopping for unusual arts and crafts and wildlife.

Thanks T.A. as always.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farmington or Raton

Santa Fe would be quite a distance off your way between Durango and Colo. Springs. You could take 64 east to Pagosa Springs, then south to Chama, and on to Tierra Amarilla, then 64 across to Taos, then 64 again to Raton. This is a beautiful drive, but wouldn't give you much time in Taos.

We drive Albuq. to Denver in 7 1/2 hours on either 25 or US285, so from either Taos or Raton, the Springs would be just a few hours.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farmington or Raton

Drive the 285 North from Santa Fe/Alamosa(great Sand Dunes NP). With a overnight ,in Salida(morning float trip?) Continuing on the 385, turn on the 9 at Fairplay to Breckinridge & on to the I-70 East, to Denver...carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farmington or Raton

Sorry, to the "Springs"... From Salida, the 50 East to Florence & 115 into town... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,164 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farmington or Raton

Farmington would be fine for maybe a few hours. Nice golf course, a few decent restaurants and you can visit Aztec Ruins Nat Mon and Salmon Ruins in the nearby towns of Aztec and Bloomfield. Nice riverwalk to walk along. When we lived there not too much to do.

Raton again will have maybe a few hours of stuff to see. Capulin Mtn Nat Mon is about 1 hour to the east. A few restaurants and I think a museum.

The drive mentioned above would be nice. Consider a night in Taos, plenty to do for a day. Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, Taos Pueblo, museums, shops and much better restaurants!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farmington or Raton

I would choose Chama over Farmington or Raton. Drive on Pine St. in Chama to the parking for Sargent wildlife preserve. It's certainly a beautiful area.

…state.nm.us/recreation/…SargentWMA.pdf

Dublin
Level Contributor
71 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Farmington or Raton

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Lots more options now, will check out Chama and Taos for sure and the wildlife preserve sounds like something we would love.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Farmington or Raton

I would suggest Taos, since Chama, while lovely, has little distinctive "NM" feel, it is more of less an extension of Colorado. Also, the other places mentioned are more for (beautiful) natural scenery, but I suspect you want a more "urban" (strange word for NM) experience, which you will get in Taos (restaurants, museums, shops etc, plus the "must-do" Taos Pueblo).

Dublin
Level Contributor
71 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Farmington or Raton

Yes, I think we will stay over in Taos. It sounds good. Thank you.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Farmington or Raton

Taos! I think you'll be very happy with your choice. And staying over at least one night lets you get more the feel of the town.

Of course you're already aware of the "don't miss" Taos Pueblo. Be sure to read up on the etiquette of visiting their home.

http://www.taospueblo.com/

I highly recommend the Millicent Rogers Museum. My personal favorite in and around Taos.

http://www.millicentrogers.org/

If you enjoy art, the Harwood Museum of Art, while not particularly large is particularly nice. Recommended.

http://harwoodmuseum.org/

Other worthwhile museums include the Taos Art Museum and Fechin House, the E. L. Blumenschein Home (next door to the Harwood) and the Hacienda de los Martinez (not my personal favorite, but others do enjoy it).

http://www.taosartmuseum.org/

taoshistoricmuseums.com/el-blumenschein-home/

taoshistoricmuseums.com/hacienda-de-los-mart…

Avoid the Kit Carson Museum.

For scenery there is a beautiful drive you can take known as the Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway. Very much recommended. (There's some great hiking opportunities, but I believe on another thread you mentioned that you were not looking for that.) Along the route be sure to visit the moving Vietnam Veterans Memorial State Park.

http://enchantedcircle.org/

www.emnrd.state.nm.us/PRD/VietnamVets.htm

Keith

Edited: 10 July 2012, 01:02
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Farmington or Raton

I agree with the suggestions above, however I would add to the things to do in Farmington, a tour of local Trading Posts. There are many, and the price and quality of Native American crafts and particularly the rugs at several of them, are excellent, and in the summer the outdoor theater production which is "Fiddler on the Roof" this year.

Edited: 11 July 2012, 14:23