We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

We are driving from Phoenix to Carlsbad in one day, in beginning of June this year. We will make a quick stop at Saguaro National Park, and then spend the rest of the day driving to Carlsbad, NM, as we want to go to Carlsbad Cavern the following day. We are quite capable of driving 10-12 hrs in a day. Does anyone have any suggestions on which routes we should take to best accommodate the limited time we have to absorb the beauties one can view from the driver seat? We can also drive by Guadelupe Mtns, so will check that out too unless someone has any better suggestions. Thank you!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

Sorry, you only have time for a quick lunch along the I-10... I suggest you plan on spending the night in El Paso . Then drive direct, to the Caverns the Next morning

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

It is unfortunate you have to do the drive in 1 day. The ideal drive would be to Las Cruces on I-10...then a visit to White Sands National Monument and into Alamogordo. The mountain drive at over 9,000ft elevation east through Cloudcroft to Artesia is one of New Mexico's prettiest. Then south to Carlsbad.

With your time constraint, the only choice for speed is I-10 to El Paso, then east on US62/US180 past Guadalupe National Park (almost entirely a hiking park, and time consuming), and into Carlsbad. Do not be tempted to stay at White's City west of Carlsbad. The accomodation and dining options (such as they are) are much better in Carlsbad. The Holiday Inn Express, and Hampton Inn have been among the better rated.

You have approximately 600 miles in a day, but the Interstate is 70+ mph, and US62 is all out in the boonies also, so you should make good time. Have a safe trip!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

If you want to see some of Saguaro NP go to West. East will be too far out of your way. I'd leave I10 at exit 6 and take loop 375 north of El Paso.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,290 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

You may not, leave your dogs in the car at any of your Planned Park or Monument visits !!! carracar

5. Re: Phoenix, AZ to Carlsbad, NM in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 06:17