We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing NM in the winter

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Lawrence
Level Contributor
229 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing NM in the winter

Hi,

We will be driving on around Christmas time from Southern CA to KS, I'm trying to plan a southern route (as possible) with stops. We have 7 and 11 years old with us. Where should we stop in NM?

Any suggestions for good route

<TripAdvisor need to have cross-country forum...>

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,287 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing NM in the winter

Northern NM has winter weather in late December. It can be snowy and icy or sunny and dry, but usually not warm. I40 usually is open, but a winter storm can close the highway. Stop in Albuquerque for a day or so, plenty to do with kids. Museums, aquarium and even our zoo is fun in the winter. There is a hotel with an indoor water park http://thehotelcascada.com/

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing NM in the winter

Hi gil100

Actually, TA does have a cross-country forum...it's called Road Trips. Here's a link: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Keith

Taos, New Mexico
Level Contributor
644 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing NM in the winter

As with any wintertime driving, you'll need to watch the weather reports. BIG winter storms can sometimes close the Interstate east of Albuquerque, meaning we've seen thousands of people stuck there until the roads are open. It's a safety thing and State Police in New Mexico are sometimes more cautious than they need to be.

The Southern Route means that you're heading toward Las Cruces, and you can try to make your way over to Carlsbad Caverns National Monument if that's something the kids might like.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing NM in the winter

I'll also amend my advice elsewhere as to the I-10 ... We have twice been stranded in Deming NM. by highway closures ... In the season you propose travel the Continental Divide IS a barrier to be considered... Keep a eye on the Weather Channel enroute, whatever the route ... carracar

5. Re: Crossing NM in the winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 06:20