We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

Planning itinerary... will be 1st time in New Mexico. How's 2 nts. Albuquerque, 3 in Santa Fe and 2 in Taos? What order? Arrive in ALB 4.30 p.m. Hotel or B&B suggestions? Want some New Mexico admosphere for reasonable prices.Will rent a car in ALB. Should we stay 1st and last nt. in ALB. or drive straight to Santa Fe when we arrive?

Any other suggestions on sights, restaurants welcome!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

What is per night budget for hotel? Do you want chains or B&B or more historic motels? Luxury or more basic will work?

I would stay in ABQ the first night since you are flying from FL and that is bound to be a 5 + hour trip and with the time change you might be tired.

I would then head to Taos the next morning and only do 1 night, but you could spend almost 2 full days if you wanted. I think that would be more than sufficient.

I would then head to Santa Fe for your 3 nights and then head down to ABQ for your last 3 nights.

If you wanted to drive straight up to SF to start, you could do that depending on how fatigued from travel you will be. Arriving at rush hour, it will be hectic time driving up to Santa Fe. Then I would do the first 4 in SF, 1 night in Taos and drive to ABQ for 3 nights.

What interests you? Outdoors; museums; cultural [Native American, Hispanic]; art galleries, shopping??? Dividing your time really depends on what you like to do.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,853 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

It depends on your arrival time into Albuquerque. If you get in by mid afternoon, then drive to Santa Fe. Here's my plan based on that...

Day 1 arrive, drive to Santa Fe via I25. Stay near the Plaza, there are places in all price ranges.

Day 2 Visit Santa Fe Plaza/Canyon Road areas. Stay SF

Day 3 Drive up to the mountains, visit Tent Rocks Nat Mon or Pecos Nat Hist Park. Stay again in SF

Day 4 Take high road up to Taos via Chimayo and the Santuario, Truchas, Las Trampas. This could take from 3 hours to all day! Stay in Taos

Day 5 Visit Taos Pueblo, see Rio Grande Gorge Bridge, maybe visit an earthship and also stay the night in Taos

Day 6 Drive back toward Albuquerque. Maybe a side trip via Los Alamos to see Bandelier Nat Mon and over to Jemez Springs. Look at staying in Jemez Springs area, or in Bernalillo which is north of Abq. .

Day 7 Visit Abq. Old Town, Petroglyph Nat Mon, take the Tram,

Day 8 Day trip out to Acoma Pueblo, Salina's Pueblo Missions Nat Mon or drive up to the opt of Sandia Crest.

Day 9 Depart.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 00:24
Boynton Beach...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

thanks for the info. Will stay 1st nt. in ALB, then 1 in Taos, 3-4 in Santa Fe and last 2-3 nts. back in ALB. Do we need 4 in Santa Fe or is 3 enough? Do we need 2 in ALB or would 3 be better? It's our 1st trip to N.M.

Interested in museums, scenery, shopping. Having hard time finding hotel, casita or B&B near plaza in Santa Fe for under $500 for 3 nts including a nice breakfast. Assume we should stay near plaza? Any suggestions? Do we want to stay downtown in ALB?? Should we stay near airport last nt. since we fly out in the morning? Is there a place for I nt. in Taos that's charming and not over $150? Appreciate your advice!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
803 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

3 in each of SF and ABQ. Try Inn of the Governors in Santa Fe. They have gotten more expensive lately, but are in good location, have breakfast and parking .

Getting to airport in ABQ in morning isn't too difficult. I have flown out recently on 6:30 flight and no traffic on roads and through security in under 30 mins. This week, 8:30 flight, more traffic, and same for security.

You can there pretty much stay anywhere in town and get to airport without a lot of trouble.

I would look around Uptown area for the usual motel chains.

5. Re: flying to/from Albuquerque May 20-28, 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 06:22