We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

Hello there!

I am planning a roadtrip for me and my boyfriend. He lives in Milan, Italy, and will be visiting me in the states over the holidays. He wants to see a myriad of places, so this is what I have planned so far:

Monday, December 23: Leave LA. Drive to Death Valley for 1/2 day. Drive to state line and stay night.

Tuesday, December 24: Drive into Vegas. As this is one of the places he really wants to see, we will spend the full day here.

Wednesday, December 25: Up early Head to Zion. Hotel already booked. Spend day on some of the easy hikes in the park.

***This is where I am having difficulties.

Thursday, December 26: DRIVING DAY. From Zion to Albuquerque. Ugh. Quick stop at the Four Corners (a bit cheesy, but neither of us have been there, and we are huge Breaing Bad fans….he especially wants to see several sights from the show - hence the trek to Albuquerque).

Friday, December 27:All day in Albuquerque (mostly to find Breaking Bad locations. Maybe meet up with family if they can make the trek).

Saturday, December 28: Head out of Albuquerque on "Route 66" (he has been wanting to do this since we met and he learned I was from California). Perhaps head to the Petrified Forest and/or Meteor Crater, then secure lodging in Sedona.

Sunday, December 29: UP early. Sunrise in Sedona. Drive to Grand Canyon. Stay there. Check in to Yavapei Lodge around 4 (or afterwards, depending on sunset times).

Monday, December 30: Up early again. :) Watch sunrise in Grand Canyon. Load car, drive home (all 800 miles). Drive on ROute 66 as much as possible (depending on weather and traffic).

Here are my questions:

1. Should I be overly concerned with risks of snow? Specifically from Zion to Albuquerque and ALbuquerque to the Grand Canyon? If there is snow, won't most of the main roads be regularly plowed? I was in Zion the day after Christmas two years ago, and it was actually quite warm (and there was no snow on the roads all the way from Salt Lake City back to LA).

2. This is a lot of mileage in one trip (around 2000 miles) over 8 days. But he only comes out here once a year, so we want to be sure he sees as much as he can and be home in time for New Year's Eve. The things he really wants to see are Vegas, Grand Canyon, Route 66 and Breaking Bad locations

3. Is driving from Zion to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon a better option, both for the sake of time and energy and safety with the potential weather?

4. Other suggestions other than Albuquerque, which is a long drive from Zion?

Any help would be much appreciated. I have already spent over 20 hours planning and researching this trip….trying to make it as feasible, cost effective, and thorough as possible.

Bandelier National Monument
Historic Sites, Ancient Ruins, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Canyons, Caverns & Caves
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

To start with, you are going to be mostly driving, with very little time for sightseeing.

First, Death Valley needs one to two full days to really take it all in.

Second, if you are insistent only 1/2 day in DV, then I would just go on to Las Vegas. Most of the fun there is at night.

As to Zion. It can get snow, and plenty of it. We were there last over Memorial Day, and it snowed quite a bit. Also the area between Zion and the Grand Canyon is fairly high elevation, and only state highways except for US 89. The same holds true for the Four Corners Monument. You are at a high elevation, and snow is quite possible. The same between Albuquerque and Grand canyon via Flagstaff.

And, you need to figure that most of 66 that is still driveable is usually two lane state roads, which are most of the time plowed last.

And, getting back to my original comment about mostly driving; New Mexico and Arizona are two of the largest states in the nation, and Southern California is quite extensive.

I just think you are biting off more than you can chew. If it were me, I would concentrate on Death Valley and Las Vegas on this trip; you could maybe add in the south Rim of Grand Canyon from Vegas. Maybe plan another one for New Mexico and Arizona from either Phoenix or Albuquerque.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

You are looking at too many miles, during holiday traffic with very real possibility of snow. Yes, roads *eventually* get plowed; however, the concern is *during* a potential snow storm.

As for alternatives to Albuquerque which is a very, very, long drive, sandiaman gave a great suggestion.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 00:43
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

Thanks for the advice. Cut back on quite a few things….less is more (and safer with it being winter). Thanks for the advice. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

If you do try it, it is a shame to drive all the way to Albuquerque and not even stop in Santa Fe, which is about one hour north. So many sights, history, places to eat, views, etc. Perhaps you will cut out ABQ entirely. In many ways, Santa Fe resembles Sedona (both the town and the outlying area) so maybe you would eliminate Sedona.But I agree that you have perhaps too much planned for a short trip, esp. with possible snows.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
807 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

I don't think she should "cut out Albuquerque." She particularly says they want to come, Breaking Bad etc. I will forever wonder why people feel that only Santa Fe constitutes a worthwhile stop in NM.

If you are interested, there is a site with BB locations on it, I'll track it down for you and be happy to help you with ABQ questions.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

In all due respect, Allison did ask " Other suggestions other than Albuquerque, which is a long drive from Zion?" ; thus sandiaman gave a suggestion for an alternative.

Allison, glad to hear you cut back a bit. Have a wonderful trip!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

Update on revised trip in post #3:

tripadvisor.com/…54522185

8. Re: Late December Road Trip ADVICE!!!! PLease and thank you very

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:16