I just booked a flight to ABQ from 3/31 - 4/8.
Some of the things Im hoping to check out are -
Kasha Ketuwe tent rocks
White sand desert
Petroglyph national monument
ABQ botanical garden
** Basic Itinerary:
- Arrive ABQ mid afternoon, perhaps check out Old Town? Find a place to stay for the night - OR check out Tent Rocks that day (3pm'ish) and head straight to Santa Fe (thoughts..??).
- If staying in ABQ first night, then drive to Santa Fe early am, check out the Kasha-Ketuwe Tent Rocks on the way. Spend two OR three nights in Santa Fe.
- Take the turquoise trail south from Santa Fe towards Carlsbad. Stay one night (in Roswell??) then check out the Caverns next day (based on time they are open and when we would arrive)
- After the caverns, same day (is that nuts??) drive rt82 to rt70, check out the white sand desert - what is this 'sledding' thing I hear about?? - afterward continue onward back to ABQ.
(Is it worthwhile to spend another night in the Carlsbad area, to allow for a full day at the caverns?, and go to the white sand desert the next morning, then drive back up to ABQ? If so, then I will have to take a night out of Santa Fe OR definitely get rid of the first night in ABQ after arrival…)
- Drive back up to ABQ area, spend two nights at Los Poblanos Inn - it looks wonderful.
Check out Petroglyph Natl Monument and the ABQ botanical garden, and more of ABQ, BUT also allowing time to enjoy the farm.
- Head to airport…morning and early afternoon will be free this day for a bit more ABQ (possibly for botanical garden?)
* As this is my first trip to NM I have some questions:
- Are my driving times and points of interests do-able?
- Any suggestions for things to see, places to eat/stay? In addition to or in place of anything mentioned above.
- Is there a reasonably priced place to stay in Santa Fe that may be similar to Los Poblanos feel?
I saw a place called Crystal Mesa Farm, but can not find any information, it seems it may be closed?? tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60958-d1165690…
** Thanks so much!! I really look forward to hearing back from everyone **