We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silver City, Gila, Las Cruces...

Carlsbad, New Mexico
Level Contributor
74 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Silver City, Gila, Las Cruces...

I have to drive several hours to take someone to the airport in El Paso on a Thursday and pick them up on Sunday. I'm thinking of making a little get away out of it for me and my two kids. Does it sound like too much driving if we stop at the EP airport Thursday at 5, then drive to maybe Las Cruces that night. Friday drive to & spend the day in Silver city. Saturday drive to Gila (spend the day there). Then Sunday back to El Paso. Is there a better way to do this? And ANY suggestions as to where to stay, where to eat, what not to miss, etc is appreciated. My kids are 7 and 10, and we need to keep it frugal. Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silver City, Gila, Las Cruces...

There is no community called Gila. Are you talking about Gila Cliff Dwellings Nat'l Monument? I would stay in Silver City for the two nights. On the day from Las Cruces, it isn't that far and you could spend that day there, then the next day drive up to the Cliff Dwellings. It is a narrow, windy road, and takes some time, but well worth it, and the youngsters would really enjoy it.

Carlsbad, New Mexico
Level Contributor
60 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silver City, Gila, Las Cruces...

Yes, I meant the cliff dwellings. I thought that there was a community there. Thank you. We will stay in Silver City. Any advice for lodging and meals there? I read somewhere that they have cowboy shows. Thank you!

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,264 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silver City, Gila, Las Cruces...

There is a tiny (pop.: 314, according to the 2010 Census) community named Gila located about 30 miles from Silver City, but it is more than 70 miles away from the Gila Cliff Dwellings and has no connection to it; in fact, it would take about two hours to go from one to the other.

From El Paso to Las Cruces is slightly less than 1 hour, and from El Paso to Silver City is about 3 hours. You may wish to pass through LC and go to Silver City for all three nights; there are a few things the kids may enjoy in LC, but I think that they may enjoy Silver better. (BTW: you didn't mention what time of year you plan on making this trip; Silver averages 10 to 15 degrees cooler than LC or El Paso during the summer-- another reason to spend your time there.)

The Gila Cliff Dwellings are only 44 miles from Silver City, but it will take about two hours to drive there. While the road goes up and down mountains and around some sharp curves, it is well-maintained and wide enough for two cars to pass each other with ease... but if either of the kids is prone to carsickness, you'll want to break out the Dramamine before making the trip.

Another local attraction is City of Rocks State Park, an easy half-hour drive from Silver. The kids will definitely get a kick out of climbing around, on and through the rock formations there.

4. Re: Silver City, Gila, Las Cruces...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 06:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question