We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety, one past and one upcoming trip to New Mexico

Vienna
Level Contributor
276 posts
469 reviews
Save Topic
Safety, one past and one upcoming trip to New Mexico

I made trip to Northwest NM (visited Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos) in June. I actually was my 4th trip to that state and again I really liked the atmosphere.

I also visited White Sands and Carlsbad Caverns in the past. So I know some highlights. Once in a while I take small privte groups to the US and was planning to arrange a 10 days trip to New Mexico. While searching for guide books (which is quite a task, I must confess) I came across a note (review on amazon) which makes me wonder if the trip to New Mexico for/with a group of friends is a good idea. The review quoted as follows dates from 2014.

Honestly, there is not much to see and do in this poor state, but the food, any where you stop is incredible. They totally missed Garcia's off of Lomas in ABQ, and a few other spots where peo ple from Mexico eat all the time because its better than mom can make and at a good price, huge portions, eh service, but whatevahs. New Mexico looks like a cat litter box with little tiny peach concrete houses and bars on the windows and cyclone fences with three layers of razor wire and a couple dogs. Crime here is major huge. New Mexicans accept that, and prepare for it. There are major drug and robbery issues. Other than that, the sky is amazing, they do not tell you the mountains change colours all day, and there are lots of good shopping bargains. Get some different books that talk about culture more than hotels and restaraunts that may have paid in some way to be mentioned. New Mexico is a state that is so off the beaten path that (name of guide book) can not comprehend.

unquote

Do you agree with that? Any suggestions for itineraries? We could either fly into Albquerque and Tucson Want to cover as much as possible, does not need to be a round trip (we can fly out of another city) one way car rental not a problem.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety, one past and one upcoming trip to New Mexico

I don't know what part of New Mexico fits the description on the Amazon website. I have lived here since 1970, with a 9 year break for a job in northern California.

Crime here is no worse than most other places. As a matter of fact, I worked for some time in Stockton California, and it was really bad there.

As to razor wire, never seen it Tiny concrete houses? Maybe he is talking about our adobe, which most of the time is quite attractive, and is a really old method of building. Yes, this is desert, and we don't have a lot of trees and plants like you see in the east and Midwest, but we are not ugly and dried up (in spite of the drought).

As for appearing to be a poor state, consider that this is one of the oldest inhabited regions in the U.S. Spanish settlers came here in the 1600's and established small communities, of which Santa Fe and Albuquerque are two.

Anyway, it's a wonderful place to visit. I personally like the northern part better than the south, but Silver City and Las Cruces are really great places to visit. I would recommend you get the information provided by the New Mexico Tourism Dept., santafe.org., and itsatrip.org. Loads of great info in all publications.

And one last thing. The writer did compliment our New Mexican food, so this person can't be all wrong.

Come visit. Give us more info about what you would like, and we will furnish you with lots of ideas.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety, one past and one upcoming trip to New Mexico

Two things clear 1) the writer is not a native English speaker, and 2) this person knows neither New Mexico nor the USA. The state is not as described and is not off the beaten path. NM is a major tourist destination. Two major East-West interstates run through the state.

It's odd that you would ask if the description is correct when you say you've visited NM twice. What do you think about it?

Silver City, New...
Destination Expert
for Silver City, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety, one past and one upcoming trip to New Mexico

I would like to point out that the state of New Mexico is nearly four times the size of your home country of Austria. Why would you take seriously anyone that describes --and dismisses-- an entire state comprised of over 314,000 square km. in only fifteen lines of text? It would be like describing Austria as a place where everyone is built like Arnold Schwarzenegger, eats heavy pastries, and rides Lipizzaner stallions!

Guide books to New Mexico are easy to come by. Frommer's and Fodor's Guides are comprehensive, but I feel that the Moon New Mexico guide is best of the three, and has just been extensively revised.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 23:54
4. Re: Safety, one past and one upcoming trip to New Mexico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 08:15