We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
66 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

Thanks in advance for any/all help on this issue. My oldest DD followed through with her obligations and can now visit her best friend in Victor, NY. (She came to visit us 2 years ago, so now DD gets to go see her). I won't let her fly all the way from Nebraska to/from New York on her own, so my younger DD and I will accompany her to Rochester, then we'll be on our own while she stays with her friend and her family for 5-7 days.

We thought we'd like to take in Niagara Falls one day and then go to NYC for the remainder of our days. I'd guess we'd just rent a car in Rochester to go to/from the falls but my problem is: How do we get from Rochester to/from NYC? Being a midwesterner, I wouldn't be equiped to tackle renting a car and driving there..... :-) We've flown to DC and Chicago in the past 2 years and have had tremendous experiences using subways/trains/busses for getting around once we're in the "big cities", so I'm sure we'll do fine with the same once in NYC. But how best to get there in the first place? Thanks!!!! (and any further advice is, as always, very much appreciated!)

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

You'll have more luck in getting responses if you post this on the New York City or Rochester or Niagara Falls forums.

This is the more general New York State forum for the entire state.

Bodega, California
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

TAKE THE TRAIN!!!!

Amtrak runs from Rochester to NYC, right into Penn Station (I think, could be wrong on that)...it's a relaxing and pretty ride and I'm pretty sure it's less expensive and MUCH LESS HASSLE than flying.

I used to take Amtrak up and down the Eastern Seabord all the time...I love the train and I miss it terribly...here in California you are either driving or flying everywhere...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

If you can drive 5 or 6 hours. Rent a car to Westchester and take the "commuter train" into the city everyday . The train is a good option but if you stay in NYC the hotels are expensive. Both options are (train or car to suburb) have pros / cons. GOOD LUCK and have fun !!!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
453 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

I've never done it, but I've heard great things about taking the train from Rochester. That's what I would reccomend.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
107 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

You can get flights on Jet Blue from Rochester to JFK for as low as $59 one way. Once you've seen Niagara Falls, fly to NYC. You might save enough on gas, tolls and rental car expense to pay for the tickets.

You could also check flights from Buffalo- closer to Niagara Falls-and Syracuse- about an hour from Rochester. But I'll be impressed if you can beat $59!

6. Re: best way for mom & 10 year old for Rochester to/from NYC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 16:24