We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overwhelmed...HELP?

Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Overwhelmed...HELP?

We are headed to NYC for our first time in Aug and there is so much we want to do and see. My husband will be working during the week and I will be left on my own to explore the great city...where do I begin?!?

We will have an additional 6 days together to explore. My question is what is safe for me to do alone and what should I plan to do...I am 28 and really like everything...I want to see it all!

Do you have any suggestions on guide books/maps/websites?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
NY
Level Contributor
792 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overwhelmed...HELP?

New York City is relatively safe during the day. I would recommend you avoid Central Park and Harlem and the South Bronx, and Bedfort Stuyvesant in Brooklyn at night and you should always be on alert as in any city.

You may want to try to get tickets in advance to the View, a tv show with Barbara Walters. Recommended places to go alone to are museums such as Metrolpolitan Musuem of Art, Musuem of Natural History, and the Guggenheim depending on what interests you. My favorites are the Musuem of Television and Radio and the Cloisters.

Other attractions are Central Park, The Empire State Building,, St. Patricks Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Greennwich Vilage, Chinatown, and Little Italy and get a tour of the stock exchange.

At night you can take in a Broadway show with your husband and there is a 1/2 price ticket place on 48th Street on Broadway if you are willing to wait on line. My favorite shows are A Chorus Line, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast. Stay away from Hairspray.

If you can get hold of Time Out New York Magazine, that will also give you ideas.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
114,384 Reviews
New York City, NY
Harlem
Harlem
1,057 Reviews
New York City, NY
Bronx
Bronx
New York
Brooklyn
Brooklyn
New York
The View Restaurant & Lounge
The View Restaurant...
4,985 Reviews
New York City, NY
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,058 Reviews
New York City, NY
St. Patrick's Cathedral
St. Patrick's Cathedral
11,192 Reviews
New York City, NY
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,425 Reviews
New York City, NY
Little Italy
Little Italy
3,191 Reviews
New York City, NY
The Lion King
The Lion King
8,702 Reviews
New York City, NY
Kirkland, Wa
Level Contributor
758 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overwhelmed...HELP?

I just got back yesterday and I have to say that I found New York very safe. I would start with a 48 hour double decker bus tour. I would take the downtown loop and the uptown loop. From there you can plan out your trip since you will have done the tour you will be able to drive by all the spots and pick the one you want to see for the next following days.

These tours are about 2 hours and make many stops and give you a great overview of most of the famous spots.

As for maps and websites...........I planned and planned and researched and researched..... The best advice is to just keep reading all the topics on this New York thread. You can print out maps on line of that double decker bus. I went on the red bus there are 2 one is the City lights? It is the blue bus.

If you are nervous about safety I would stick to tours everyone was amazingly friendly and helpfull.

Mentioned in this post
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overwhelmed...HELP?

By the way, this is the more general forum for the entire state of New York.

You'll have more luck if you post this question on the New York City forum. You can also read the FAQ "sticky" post at the top of the New York City forum. It includes a list of "must see" things and, at the bottom, collections of trip reports by recent travelers.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1341195… Look_here_before_you_post_NYC_FAQs-

I'd also suggest to get a good guide book.

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Overwhelmed...HELP?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 17:17