We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydneysiders first time to NY

sydlilly
13 posts
Save Topic
Sydneysiders first time to NY

Hi

Myself and my 6yr old daughter are travelling to NY at the end of September to the begining of October. I'm just wandering if you all could give suggestions on places to visit. I know about the SOL, Rockefeller, Empire State Building, Central Park, though is this period in NY busy and is there a tour that can be done to cover all this?

I would love to see a sports game of some sort, baseball, basketball will there be any games on?

Are there any other things that might be exciting to see? We are staying with family in NY but not sure what the area is called.

We also, well I would like to see the shops as well. Is there a shop that i should definately go to, like Macy's or something?

Also what is the weather like in NY at this time?

Thanks

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydneysiders first time to NY

This is a tricky time for sports. The baseball season for the Mets and Yankees ends on September 30 and they will play into October if they make the playoffs. You would want advance tickets for them. For the football Giants and Jets, I would say it's hard to get tickets. The preason for Rangers hockey is in late September and regular season begins in October and you want to buy in advance. Basketball is later for the Knicks.

As far as attractions it depends what interests you and how long you stay in NYC.

You can check the tours such as Gray Lines that allow you hop on and off to give you a good introduction. You can see which choices interest you and if you look at other forum entries, I'm sure there are other tours recommended to.

Musuems can be fun such as the Musuem of Natural History, Metropolitan Musuem of Art, or others that interest you. I like the Cloisters in upper Manhattan where you take the A train to 190th Street and walk through Fort Tryon Park. The Cloisters has nice midieval architecture.

Shopping along 5th Avenue will give you many shopping chioces.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydneysiders first time to NY

This is the more general forum for the entire state of New York.

You'll have more luck if you post this question on the New York City forum. You can also read the FAQ "sticky" post at the top of the New York City forum. It has posts and answers to nearly all of your questions. Plus, at the bottom are collections of reports from recent visitors.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1341195… Look_here_before_you_post_NYC_FAQs-

I'd also suggest to get a good guide book.

new york
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydneysiders first time to NY

Focus on Central Park (ck web for info). There are tours which may be of interest - get a map of park. Carousel and puppet theatre, children's zoo. Museum of Natural History and Metropolitan Museum are on opposite sides of the park - each has children's programs. In Natl History Museum, go to Indians of Eastern Woodlands exhibit, which is prob. enough time in the Museum- but is very American oriented (obviously), so a good thing to see.

Forget Macy's. Take the 4 or 5 subway downtown (you don't say where you are staying) to Spring St and walk west. There is a wonderful shop w bones and fossils (I have 4 kids and they love it) on the South side of Spring St. Lots of shopping and good restaurants in this area.

Ck the Website of NY Water Taxi and take a taxi ride around the water. This is a great way to see a lot and have a fun ride. Do not waste your time getting off at the Statue of Liberty -much more interesting just from the water. Ellis Island is interesting - take a Ranger tour. Again, this is very American. There is a great science museum in New Jersey just across from Ellis Island - Liberty Science Center. Ck the web for transport options - you can get there by ferry from Manhattan.

There are Fire, Police, and Subway museums - depending on the child's interests. The best way to eat is in the deli's which have lunchtime buffets - pick a clean one! The kids love this - many have seating upstairs. If you are in midtown, there is a wonderful one south of the Library (42 and Fifth) which overlooks (from the 2nd floor eating area) BryanT park behind the Library - carousel there for kids (in the park) - a pretty place to put your feet up and have a run around. Nearby Toys R us store in Times Square is always a hit w the kids - but is a mob scene.

Rockefeller Center has the NBC tour - again, ck the Web. The kids like this. There are TV show tapings which you can see for free.

There are many theatre options - be sure to choose kid friendly - see playbill.com. Off off broadway is very fun and cheap - Broadway (like The Lion King) is expensive but certainly unforgettable. Grand Central Terminal is a fun sight - find the Whispering Wall - kids love it. There is a Visiter Booth near the ticket booths - maps, magazines, discount theatre tickets. There is a train store in the Terminal. This is on the 4/5 subway line. The 4/5 is a safe line to use (of course you will not be out late w a child). Get deli sandwaichs and picnic in Central Park - there are wonderful playgrounds there - ck that Park map which you will get! A good break for children.

NY can be glorious in Oct - or damp and chilly.

sydlilly
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydneysiders first time to NY

Thanks CarisKeith, I'll check out the websites. Will let you know how I go. Thanks for your input - I was thinking of taking a tour of NY but maybe we'll just go by water taxi first and then decide.

5. Re: Sydneysiders first time to NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 21:19