We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York for a birthday weekend - ideas...

Uk
9 posts
Save Topic
New York for a birthday weekend - ideas...

Hi

I will be in new York for 3 1/2 days with a group of friends aged between 25 - 32 at the end of January. We will be staying in downtown and I am hoping you guys can help/recommend on the following.....

What nightclubs would you recommend?

What restaurants would you recommend? Budget would be 50 per person exluding drinks. A good view on one night would be good, is there a revolving restaurant?

Bearing in mind we won't be in NY that long would sightseeing is a must?

What be the best way to travel round NY, cab?

What's the best shopping outlet to pick up some cheap designer clothes?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone has time to put some sort of itineray together then that would be great!

Many thanks

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,295 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New York for a birthday weekend - ideas...

You should post your questions on the New York City forum. This is the forum for New York State.

NY
Level Contributor
781 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New York for a birthday weekend - ideas...

There are really so many things to do that an itinerary is hard. It would be based on what you enjoy most.

Here are some restaurants I recommend. Gene's on 11th Street and 6th Avenue and Bella Cucina on 87th Street and Lexington Avenue for Italian food. Hunan Balcony on 98th and Broadway has great Chinese food and The Cottage on 16th Street on the east side has good Chinese food.

One recommendation I have is get a 1 week subscription to www.clubfreetime.com. It gives you free events in New York City such as concerts and walking tours. It also mentions reduced priced events that you can get as a club free time member. For example there is a great magic show we saw at the Bleecker Street Playhouse which is normally $47 and we paid a $6 reservation fee.

Here are some ideas.

1 - Museums - Paley Center (previously called Museum of Television and Radio), Guggenheim, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of National History

2 - You probably want to visit Grand Central, Time Square, Greenwich Village, Little Italy, and Chinatown.

3 - Central Park

4 - Empire State Building

5 - Circle Line boat tour or a bus tour

I'm not an expert in night clubs but I strongly recommend Comedy Cellar in Greenwich Village for comedy.

I think the subways should meet most or all your travel needs.

Have a great trip and hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

3. Re: New York for a birthday weekend - ideas...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2010, 06:18