We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for first trip to New York

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary for first trip to New York

Hi Friends,

Since this our first trip to New York, i would like some advice on how to build the itinerary. We are a family of four adults and are planning a12-15 days trip to New York and Washington DC.

We would like to see the Niagara Falls from both the side and would like to take the train from New York to Ontario (Niagara Falls) spend two days there and back to New York.

We are planning to take this holiday in August 2010 and will be flying out of UK.

Thanks in advance

Yubiwa

Thanks

Yubiwa

NY
Level Contributor
781 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for first trip to New York

I am not sure from your post if you plan to rent a car and how much time you plan at each event. Here are some ideas.

Niagara Falls - 2 nights is enough

About 2-3 hours from Niagara Falls is LilyDale and The Chautauqua Institution. You can read my review on LilyDale to see if that is the type place that interests you and www.ciweb.com has info on Chautauqua.

Then drive through Letchworth State Park and if you have time and interest or if you don't do LilyDale and Chautauqua, I recommend the waterfalls in Ithaca and museums in Cooperstown. Head down through the Hudson Valley where you can stop at Storm King Art Center and West Point and then NYC with endless opportunities. DC has many musuems.

I recommend Gene's Italian restaurant and the Comedy Cellar for comedy in NYC. www.menupages.com will give you dining ideas and www.clubfreetime.com for a 1 week subscription will give you good ideas.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for first trip to New York

Thank you travelus73 for your inputs. We are not driving as i am told that it is expensive to hire out cars and parking is a problem in New York and Washington. Therefore our thoughts were to use the train, bus or flights where necessary.

We plan as follows :

New York - 7 days (2 nights at the Niagara Canada side)

Washington DC - 5 days

Any thoughts?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,822 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for first trip to New York

First, you'll get more responses if you post your question in the New York City forum. This is the general forum for New York State.

Second, you will need to rent a car in Niagara Falls. You can either rent that car in NYC and drive out there, and then return the car when you get back to NYC (no need to keep it in the city) or you can fly to Buffalo, New York, and rent a car there. The train takes a VERY long time each way, and I would not recommend it given your time frame.

4. Re: Itinerary for first trip to New York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 08:16