We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

Currently planning a 9 day road trip from NYC to Lake George then onto Montreal & back home via Vermont. Any suggestions on # of days to spend in Montreal & were to visit or stay in Vermont? Traveling with toddler so not looking to drive more than 3 - 4 hours a day.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

I would post this question in Montreal and Vermont forums too, if you haven't already.

I love Burlington and would suggest spending some time there. There are several ferries you can take from New York to cross Lake Champlain to Vermont with your car. Burlington has a neat little aquarium I bet your toddler would love. There is a lot to do in Montreal, too.

Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

I spent 2 days in Montreal Feb of this year and we felt this was enough, we did then travel to Quebec city for the same amount of time and we felt this was not nearly enough time. We also drove from NYC

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

Same with us as Cozzer. The additional distance to Quebec City was so worth it. Much more interesting than Montreal. I can't wait to go back. We went through Vermont from New York and stopped at Abbey Saint-Benoit du Lac on lake Memphrémagog. It really put us in the spirit.

New York City
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

Thanks for all the responses, we are definitely going to look into the Quebec City option. Just another question, when doing the drive, did you reserve hotels along the way or just wing it? Being that we would be traveling mid-week after Labor Day we anticipate smaller crowds, but just wondering what anyone recommends. We have a relatively open schedule and would ideally not want to limit ourselves or put too many time restrictions in each location on the trip.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

How about a side trip to Parc Omega? I saw some info about the park here on tripadvisor. It is closer to Ottawa, but not far from Montreal. Beautiful scenery. Visited the park 7 years ago with my toddler, and although she doesn't remember, she had a good time feeding the deer and I got some great photos. Anybody know what the tax is on food to our north right now? Is it 14% on restaurant meals? You may want to keep that in mind for your travel budget.

6. Re: NYC-Montreal Road Trip Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 17:15