We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2011 itinerary

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
89 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas 2011 itinerary

I have done some research and come up with this itinerary for our trip to NYC this Christmas (my husband, me and my 14yr old daughter). We are staying at Marriott Courtyard midtown east, (East 52nd) and wonder if it sounds realistic

Thur 22 Dec - arrive at hotel around 2pm (subject to no delays). Go and look at Bloomingdales and go around corner for McDonalds (my husband wants to experience one in NYC!)

Fri 23rd - take metro to Greenwich for my daughter to look at Friends building and have look round (any recommendations for cake/coffee shops? Then take Staten Island Ferry (don't think we will have time for museum) Does the ferry stop near Statue of Liberty?) and possibly see the Radio City Xmas show at 4pm, then dinner at Ellen Stardust which apparently is in walking distance

Saturday 24th - shopping day - get up early to look at Macys etc, Times Square and Broadway. Go to a diner maybe Tick Tock or Skylight. Go and watch light show at Grand Central Station (is there anywhere good to have dinner there).

Sunday 25th - go early to Empire State Building. Lunch at Rock Center Cafe and to to Top of Rock as it is getting dark.

Monday 26th - ice skating and wander round Central Park, Guggenheim, lunch at Boat House. Dinner at Relais de Venise

I think Essa Bagel and Katz are not far from our hotel for breakfast.

We would like to walk across Brooklyn Bridge and walk along Brooklyn Boulevard, but don't know if there would be time. Is there anything glaring that I have missed out, especially that a 14 year old girl would like? Also any ideas how much a cab would cost on Christmas day to take us to Empire State Building? Would also love to go to a Broadway show, but don't really want to book that as we may be so tired.

So many questions, I know, but this will probably be a once in a lifetime. I know what it's like when we go to London - always so much to see but that's only 2 hours on the train!

If you have taken the time to read all this - thank you so much and look forward to hearing comments.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
302 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

i am just starting to plan our xmas visit, and hopefully an expert will reply also, but here are some answers. the staten island ferry goes past (not terrifically close) the statue of liberty. i believe at that time you wont be able to go in the statue anyway(just on the island), so it's not a bad option. taking the circle line cruises will get you much closer to the statue, if they run yearround. of course, they charge a fee.

as you say, so much to do, and i wouldnt recommend doing both top of empire state and top of the rock. i hear the view from the latter is awesome, but we took each of our kids (separately) to empire state, just because, hey, it's the empire state building!

i would skip a play, especially since youre only 2 hours from london, and most especially if you do go to radio city show.

walking the brooklyn bridge is fantastic, but will be weather-dependent. it it's at all windy, you'll be miserable. if not, take subway to brooklyn and walk over the bridge toward manhattan for a view of skyline as you walk.

other than guggenheim, youve excluded museums, which can make sense given your proximity to london. if you like modern art, the MOMA is quite nice and doable. the met is daunting.

if you are interested in seeing the world trade center memorial, reserve (free) tickets now. there are very few available that week-just checked today for us.

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
89 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

thank you - that is really useful

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

Hi - just a few comments to help -

your plans for Friday have you going all over the city - for greenich village you could take a few hours poking in the shops.

When you do the SI ferry, look around battery park - you have views of The Statue and Ellis Island from there The SI ferry does not go very close - if you ahve time i would suggest a sunset boat ride around the island - it is really pretty from the water.

For views, the top of the rock is great - Empire State building is good too, but I agree you dont need to do both.

For Dinner try Johns Pizza on 64th - it is an old church that is converted - good food / reseonable prices too.

if you are interested in a show, a lot of them do lottery's. they raffle off tickets and hour or so before curtain of 'partial view" seats for $20-$25/ seat. ( I have never been dissapointed with a partial view seat. ) it is also good for last minuite plans.

Saturday you should start on the times square area and then walk down to Macy's - ENJOY!

Bournemouth
Level Contributor
89 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

thank you - I can't wait - Christmas can't come soon enough!

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

My husband and I are visiting NYC for the first time arriving on 22nd Dec and returning on 27th Dec, I dont want to plan an itinerary a such would just really like to know whats a must do when visting NYC so I dont miss out.

I'm aware of ice scating in central park and already have tickets booked for top of the rock, we will travel over the brooklyn bridge in a yellow cab from the airport.

I would also like go out some where Christmas Eve night and for lunch on Christmas Day. I would be greatful for any suggestions.

I'm staying at The Wellington Hotel times square/central park.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

I guess the time of the year related "must-sees" would be the Christmas Tree in Rockefeller Center, store windows decked out for Christmas, etc.

Generally, though, there really are no "must dos." It all depends on interest. Get a guidbook, look at the Things to Do section in the NYC (sub)forum, read trip reports, etc.

7. Re: Christmas 2011 itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 09:19