We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Canada and USA

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
First Trip to Canada and USA

Hi There

As this is our first trip to Canada and USA I wonder whether anyone can assist. We are 2 couples planning to start our trip from Montreal to Toronto hire a car there and drive to Niagara Fall, cross over to the USA and drive down to New York. We would like to stop over in NY, Washington and Philadelphia. Then fly down to Orlando hire a car and drive down to Miami. If time permits we will take a 5 day cruise in the Cribbean. Time allocated for the trip about a month.

Can anyone suggest a route with places of interest. Once we have the route sorted out we will go to the next step of accommodation.

Thanking you in anticipation

Aaron

NY
Level Contributor
780 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Canada and USA

Hi Aaron,

It would help to know when you plan on doing this trip and how long you plan to be in the US but here are some ideas once you are done with Niagara Falls. If you visit in the summer, you may like Lily Dale and you can see my review or the Chautauqua Institution (www.ciweb.org) and they are about 2 hours from Niagara Falls.

Day 1 - Drive to Geneseo and visit Letchworth State Park and stay around Hornell.

Day 2 - Stop at Corning Glass Center, drive about an hour to Wellsboro, and visit the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon. Stay in the Wellsboro area and be sure to check out the downtown area.

Day 3 - Drive along Route 6 to I-84 East to the Hudson Valley and stay around Middletown, NY. in the Hudson Valley.

Day 4 - The Hudson Valley offers shopping at Woodbury Commons, West Point tour, Storm King Art Center with sculptures, and more so spend a day there and stay the night again or head to NYC that evening.. Franco Di Roma has great Italian food in Middletown.

Remainder of trip - New York City is just over an hour away and you can spend as much time as you like. The choices are endless. I recommend you get a 1 week subscription to www.clubfreetime.com to learn about free or reduced price events when you are there. www.menupages.com gives you restaurant ideas and I love a show called Hole-O-Matic and their website is www.holeomatic.com

I'm not that familiar with Philly or DC and you can research to see how long you want to spend there based on your interests and time.

Have a great trip and let us know how it goes.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Canada and USA

Where are you intending to return the rental car? It's highly unlikely that you will be able to rent a car in Canada and then return it in the United States. Even within the U.S., returns that are distant from the original rental location are usually very expensive.

Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Canada and USA

Hi There, sorry I didn't get your name.

First of all thank you for the prompt reply. We are planning the trip in May next year and allocated about ONE month (excluding the cruise in the Caribbean.

We will probably stay 5 days in New York and 5 days in Orlando + Miami the rest is "negotiable". Unless of course you can suggest something different.

Regards and thanks again

Aaron

4. Re: First Trip to Canada and USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 06:16