We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrack Montreal to NYC

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrack Montreal to NYC

This will be my first train trip to NYC. Has anyone done this trip before? What can I expect by way of comfort, onboard food, delays, wifi etc. Is there good breakfast fare open in Penn station at 7:00 am on a Sunday? Any place also open to buy sandwiches to take onboard?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,872 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

If you repost on the NY CITY forum you may find some responses. If you do a text search on that forum, there have been a few posts on the subject. The Tick Tock Diner is right near Penn station and should be open for breakfast.

menupages.com/restaurants/tick-tock-diner/

Where are you asking about sandwiches? In NYC OR Montreal?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

The sandwiches would be in Penn station to take back on our trip home. Tks.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

nywhiz,

I thought I was on the NYC forum. I have done a search and do not see anything re my train question. Can you enlighten me? Tks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

I have done the route several times. Don't think they have wifi. Once we had to sit for ours due to some problem or other. Sometimes there are problems with other trains in Albany. In other words, do not count on it being on time.

There will be food available in Penn Station but also on the train. I would count on both as its a long trip. I usually run to the Dunkin Donuts which is now across the street from Penn Station.

When you get up to the point where there is a river on the right hand side, watch for eagles. Its pretty amazing seeing them so close at hand.

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

I ride Amtrak frequently from Albany to NYC. The poster stating to not count on being on time is correct! I have heard that there are usually problems at the border which can delay the train significantly. I don't recommend the food that is on the train. Bring food with you. There are several places to choose from in Penn Station for food. Penn Station is kind of like a little mall. Many many food choices and some shops. Also, as noted by another poster, there are places right outside of Penn Station, but I don't think its really worth going outside of Penn when you have many options right within Penn. Have fun, be ready for a long ride and make sure to sit on the river side of the train. If you are not sure - ask someone which side to sit on. No wi-fi....but sometimes you can pick up wireless internet on unsecured networks in the area, but it can get annoying as its in and out.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

To sit on the river side between New York and Albany (well worth it), sit on the right hand side from Montreal to New York and on the left hand side from New York to Montreal.

7. Re: Amtrack Montreal to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2012, 10:17