We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

We have had a great trip so far and advice on here has been super!! But we were really disappointed with our choice of the 2nd Ave Deli that was recommended highly on here!! The sandwiches were just average at best and were way over priced!!!! No lettuce or condiments offered! Did get pickles on table with a very green tomato!! The pickles had a urine smell! Waiter could not understand our English!!! Bread was stale!! The only good thing was the Dr. Brown's Diet Black Cherry soda!! It was not a good experience that cost me a lot of money!!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,762 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

Of course lettuce and condiments weren't offered. That's not how a Jewish deli sandwich is served. It's like complaining that sushi wasn't cooked. And yes, pickled green tomatoes are, by definition, green. And that's not a urine smell, it's a pickle smell. They are, after all, pickles. And rye bread does tend to be dry, but I seriously doubt it was stale. So it sounds like you just didn't know what to expect and have realized you don't like Jewish deli food. Good to know - stick to things that are familiar next time and you'll probably be happier. Not everyone has a palate that can appreciate unusual tastes.

Also, there's no need to use so many exclamation points!!!!! It makes you sound very juvenile!!!!

Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

True on the Jewish Deli etiquette-I didn't know what to expect but I have had other deli sandwiches and they were good! Had white bread and when I asked for condiments I was told no! Had to ask 3 times!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,520 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

Wow!! I've never SEEN so many exclamation points!!! It kind of takes away from any opinion you might have!!!!! Good luck next time!!!!! Happy New Year!!!!!!!!

(Darn, Think I've used up all of my January exclamation points and the month hasn't even started yet. I'll have to be careful ! )

Edited: 01 January 2012, 01:42
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,762 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

Sigh. Sure. You got white bread in a deli, and the mean, mean Jews wouldn't give you lettuce and mayonnaise.

Eyeroll.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

I'm curious---What other deli sandwiches did you have that you thought were good? And did you have these sandwiches in a real deli in NYC or was it a glorified sandwich shop that calls itself a deli?

For example, here in the DC area, we see a lot of sandwich shops that call themselves delis. Oh sure, they serve pastrami and corned beef. However, what passes for pastrami and corned beef is a joke. That's one of the reasons that we've made it a tradition to have our first NYC vacation meal at The Second Avenue Deli.

Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

Didn't order pastrami! Don't know why you are making fun of me! I love this forum and I recommend it to everyone. All other advice on here was spot on but that one was not!! Just because I had a bad experience does not mean you need to move my post because it did happen in NYC. I ate at deli (yes a deli) this morning and it was great and at half the cost and great service. I would have said sorry about your experience but most people like it. And left at that!!!!!!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

which one did you eat at that you liked, out of interest?

(sorry forgot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

And I'm curious as to what you ordered at the Second Avenue Deli.

Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,762 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Great trip so far but deli choice was bad!

We're making fun of you because you persist in not understanding what you're complaining about. You've clearly misunderstood the difference between a deli and a Jewish deli, if you are criticizing the 2nd Ave Deli for not bringing condiments for your sandwich.

Seriously, I'll say it again: you are doing the equivalent of criticizing a sushi place for not cooking the fish, or a pizza place for not using Cheddar on the pizza.