We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

Antartica
2 posts
Save Topic
3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

We, a family of four with two teens, are planning to take a road trip to the east coast this summer. We are planning to drive from Atlanta to Wisconsin. We are flying in from the west coast to Atlanta for some other commitments and have extra 3 weeks vacation, so want to use that for a road trip. This is our first visit to the east coast and want to see all the major attractions and the national parks. We plan to fly into Atlanta and fly out of Montreal Canada. We plan to visit the following places - is our itinerary doable or is it too crazy for a 3 week holiday. What are the places we should definitely see? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.

Atlanta city tour

Great smoky mountains

Montgomery Alabama

Charlotte South Carolina

Raleigh North Carolina

Shenandoah national park

Washington DC

Philadelphia

New York City and Niagara Falls

Boston

Montreal

Toronto

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
25,350 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

No reason to put Niagara Falls and NYC on the same line like that - they're not remotely close to each other. Philadelphia, Boston and DC are all closer to New York than Niagara is. Toronto is much closer to Niagara Falls.

I assume you don't plan to get out of the car much? This itinerary is feasible as long as you don't mind seeing everything out of a car window. You're looking at one city per day, basically. Is that what you had in mind?

Edited: 08 January 2012, 04:51
US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

You may want to post in the Road Trips Forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

It's personal preference how you like to vacation, but I personally think you are trying to do too much. I would pick fewer locations and spend more time in each place to help break up the drive.

What do you guys like to do? Any particular reason Raleigh is on there? While I like Raleigh and lived there for two years, I'm not sure I'd choose it for a destination when you have the whole east coast to visit.

I think you also need to think what your priorities are and how to plan an itinerary that minimizes your driving. Boston,NYC, Niagara Falls, Montreal, and Toronto aren't close enough to visit them all in a short time. Montreal is pretty much due north of NYC - I would skip Toronto/Niagara Falls as it would be a bit of a detour.

Another thing to consider is the time of year. It can get really hot in the southern states and won't be as agreeable for outdoor activities.

I would look at a route from Atlanta to Montreal and first pick some stops that are priorities, then pick some other stops that are on the way between the important ones and can break the trip up into reasonable drives.

As a first pass I would do something like: Atlanta -> Asheville,NC -> Shenandoah -> Washington DC -> Philly -> NYC -> Adirondacks -> Montreal. This route itself is already close to 1300 miles. Depending on how many days you have left, you could swing over to Boston/NH/Maine before going to Montreal, but that would add some driving.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

I agree. I would leave out Montgomery, AL and Toronto for sure.

Due to time constraints, I would also leave out Niagara Falls and Boston.

You would still have an ambitious itinerary. Enjoy the ride!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,601 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

So you're driving to Wisconsin going up the east coast and then heading west...and then back to Montreal.

For that route Westward you might consider Pennsylvania's Wilds, taking Rt. 6 across northern PA. National Geographic calls it "One of America's most scenic drives".

http://www.pawilds.com/

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

Why Charlotte and Raleigh? In North Carolina, the seashore and the mountains have some of the most beautiful scenery. Check out the Blue Ridge Parkway or the Outer Banks.

Antartica
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I agree with all of you - too many places to see in a 3 week period. We will review our itinerary based on all your inputs. Actually we have to fly into Atlanta so I included Charlotte and Raleigh since it is on the way while driving to Washington State. We had just planned a half day city tour at each place but seeing all your replies, we will just skip out of those. We definitely want to see Washington DC, New York, Statue of Liberty, Niagara Falls and spend some time in each place. We would also want to go to Shenandoah NP and Great Smoky Mountains NP. I guess we need to be more realistic in our itinerary. Will rework on our itinerary and will post our revised one for your inputs. Thanks once again to all of you who took the time to reply.

8. Re: 3 Week Road Trip to the East Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 10:25