We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for mid-february

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Clothing for mid-february

First time traveller to New York, visiting for 6 nights.

Will I get by with jeans, some shirts and a good jacket?

I'll be doing a lot of walking - shoe recommendations? Will there be lots of sludge or snow on the sidewalk?

I'll be backpacking through California and Texas for 2 weeks afterward, so space will be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,300 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for mid-february

Assuming you mean New York City, post in the New York City forum. From what you've listed, I think you're going to freeze. You need a coat, not a jacket in February.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,935 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for mid-february

Snow and slush is cleaned up fairly quickly unless the storm is a really major one. You should be prepared for slush and ice, but you probably won't encounter it unless snow happens during your visit.

Bring some wool socks (they stay warm even if wet) and footwear that has a good, deep tread. Your footwear may get wet, so don't ruin something you really care about.

Cold will probably be more of an issue than slush and ice. You will want a heavy jacket and multiple layers underneath. Scarf, hat and gloves. It can be raw and windy.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
156 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for mid-february

While NYC gets snow or slush in February, the sidewalks in Manhattan are usually cleared within a few hours so it doesn't pose a big problem. That said, sidewalks can be a bit icy, so wear comfortable, warm shoes with a decent tread.

The big thing to prepare for is the cold and wind. Since Manhattan is an island, there is almost always wind blowing in off the harbor, which can make it feel 10-15 degrees colder during the winter. Make sure to pack a scarf, gloves and hat if you plan on spending a lot of time outside.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for mid-february

Thanks for the replies everyone, yes I was referring to New York as in Manhattan (rookie mistake by me), they've given me a better idea of what to expect.

The problem is I'm from Australia and thus never owned boots or cold weather shoes. I'm still unsure if they're a necessity or if something like Nike ACG (rugged shoes with outdoor tread) would suffice? I'd much rather those to be honest as I can also wear them in the warmer states and it'll save a lot of space and weight in my pack.

Do I need to add anything else to this list (in addition to everyday clothes obviously)?

-Thermal underwear

-Wool socks

-Glovese / beanie

-Coat (loose enough to fit over a hoodie)

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for mid-february

Nike ACGs would be fine. But if you are going west, are you going to have hiking shoes/boots. If you are, an option would be to water proof those.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing for mid-february

Also, being from Australia means I've never owned a big coat before.

Will one of these big puffy down jackets be acceptable? Something like

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79916250@N00/2636651832/in/photostream/

I'm not a fashion tragic but would prefer to 'blend in' rather than stand out like a tourist. I recall that episode of Seinfeld where everyone teases George for wearing one lol

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing for mid-february

Seinfeld is not current. It seems to me that down jackets are making a comeback. Whatever, I would suggest that you get something that appeals to your sense of fashion, You are the one who will own the jacket. New Yorkers don't care so much about how tourists dress. You'll see people wearing all sorts of things in the city!

Regarding footwear, if you are doing real backpacking and not just light day trips, you really should get yourself a pair of real hiking boots that will give you ankle support. They should be waterproof. Don't waste your money on boots that aren't! If things get sloppy in the city, you can wear them instead of more fashionable shoes. When the weather is messy, I always prefer to be practical.

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing for mid-february

A coat like that would be fine. I wouldn't go too trendy or colorful--something that can stand the test of time so that you can use it again if you travel to cold places or go skiing. You also might want to look into a system. Some thing with layers that can be inserted or removed depending on the weather and climate. Something like this:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-snow-squall-3--in-1-jacket~230043_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BSK&CM_MERCH=IDX_men-_-outerwear-_-jackets-parkas-coats&origin=index

Edited: 21 January 2012, 19:28
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing for mid-february

^^ great suggestion, dawn^^

10. Re: Clothing for mid-february

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2013, 10:20