We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

Which New York hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Doha
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

we are planing for a trip in the summer and will be staying in ny city and at niagra falls. i would also like to stay for a few days in an area of natural beauty wher we can take walks enjoy the nature and take some horse rides and see some waterfalls. i really don't know where to start the search because there are so many options.

any recommendations are appreciate taking into considerations we have three children (9,6,2)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

Well, there are an incredible amount of options.

My favorite places are in the Adirondacks- where you have wilderness areas, breathtaking mountains, and pristine lakes. Kids like the Lake Placid Olympic area. Canoeing, hiking are fun.

But for waterfalls- around the Finger Lakes there are several, and the area has kid friendly things.

There is also a lot to do in the Hudson Valley. The famous Katerskill falls is near Woodstock NY. Hiking is a bit harder than in the Adirondacks because of the geology- the mountain ranges have steep ridges. As well there is a lot of historical sites if you want a break from nature.

I havent been on a horse in decades so you will have to google that one.

For all these, search this forum- there are lots of strands discussing them.

And use:

http://www.iloveny.com/

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

I think ^^^ nailed it, you are really going to need to decide between the Adirondacks and the Finger Lakes.

My experience in the Finger Lakes is much more extensive than the Adirondacks, so I'll put the plug in for there. A couple of advantages - it is directly on the route between NYC and Niagara Falls. The Adirondacks will add *at least* a few hours to your journey. You mentioned waterfalls, there are four incredible state parks within 45-60 minutes of each other, google:

Taughonnock Falls SP

Buttermilk Falls SP

Robert Treman SP

Watkins Glen SP

The hike at the first is a flat gorge hike along (and through) the stream bed to a viewing area near the base of the falls (taller than Niagara, but about 1/10000 the water flow. Impressive nonetheless). Buttermilk and Treman both have a lot of stairs, but are definitely worth it, and the hike at Watkins Glen, while much more structured, is a little indescribable. Suffice to say that you get right in the gorge.

There are a couple of museums in the immediate area that may be of interest to the children, notably the Sciencenter in Ithaca and the Corning Museum of Glass.

You'll get to see a smaller mountain range, the Catskills, on the journey between NYC and NF.

You really can't go wrong with either destination, though.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

I'll echo the above posters in that there are many options - what you choose will depend on what fits best logistically with your schedule.

I haven't been to the Finger Lakes area, so can't speak to that area. I live in the Hudson Valley around Poughkeepsie and there are many opportunities for getting outdoors - both right around here and across the river in the Shawangunks and Catskills (including lots of nice hikes and walks, some smaller waterfalls). The mountains are smaller in this area, but still afford nice views and scenery.

The mountains are bigger in the Adirondacks and it's a beautiful area. A lot to choose from there (the Adirondacks covers a very large region).

I don't know what your lodgings plans are, but if it's in the budget - maybe look at the Mohonk Mountain House or the Rocking Horse Ranch (never been there, but seems like it might be a good place with kids and they offer horse riding there).

You mention staying some place "a few days". Seems like the Finger Lakes might be your best bet since it wouldn't require extra driving time. The Hudson Valley/Catskills would be a small detour.

Oh, one other place that is beautiful - is the Taconics - near the border of NY/MA. It wouldn't add that much extra mileage either (if you want to look at Google maps, use Great Barrington, MA).

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

Check out this place:

http://www.ridinhy.com/

I vote for the Adirondacks, even though they're a bit out of your way!

5. Re: best natural beauty area in NY state for family stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:16