We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in the states, going alone

Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Topic
First time in the states, going alone

Hi guys! I will be finally going to the states for the first time (big dream trip!).

Now, Im going on the 12th of July, and am going to meet a friend up in Vermont around the 20th. So I figured I would stay 4 days in NYC and then head down to Florida from the 16th to the 20th. Do you think that's a good idea? I do not know much about Florida (I was thinking Miami), and the fact that will be all alone during this period, makes me not want to take the risk of being bored. Will I be able to meet people? Should I just skip Florida and just stay in new York?

My interest is to just meet people and walk around, get the feeling of the city, nothing too touristy or cultural.

After I hook up with my friend, we are going 4 days to new Orleans, then back to new York for 3 days before going home.

Do you guys have any tips for me regarding hotels, area to stay (or not stay), etc?

I really appreciate your help, I need to make this trip perfect!

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
Florida
Florida
United States
York
York
North Yorkshire, UK
New York Local Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Local Expeditions
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in the states, going alone

Well, first of all, if you want information about New York City, ask your questions on that forum instead of the New York state forum, where you are now.

I'm not a big fan of Florida, especially in the summer, when it will be hot and humid (New Orleans will be miserably hot, too).

Without knowing your interests, it is hard to give you advice, but if it were me, I'd spend most of my time in the northeast...NYC, Boston, New England, and possibly Washington, D.C.

First, go to the New York City forum and read the top questions on the right side of the page.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Washington
Washington
United States
Norway
Level Contributor
216 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in the states, going alone

Hei,

jeg har ikke prøvd dette før, men det kan være en fin og hyggelig måte å se deler av New York om man reiser alene. Sjekk denne lenken:

bigapplegreeter.org/01-big_apple/00-what_is.…

God fornøyelse!

Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in the states, going alone

Hi, thanks for the link I'll give it a try! Sorry I don't speak Norwegian very well. But thanks!

Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in the states, going alone

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I posted in the wrong forum!

I understand what you mean about the heat, bu I've been living in such cold conditions for the last 4 years, that I cannot wait to be boiling :)

Thanks to the tip, and again, I'm sorry for using the wrong forum

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,167 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in the states, going alone

Repost on the NYC forum and if you want help with hotels, post a nightly budget which will make a huge difference. NO ONE can tell you whether to go to Florida or not with the info you provided. It's a personal decision. I personally wouldn't spend the airfare to go to Florida in July when the beaches near NYC will be totally swimmable but that's up to you.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
6. Re: First time in the states, going alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 23:17