We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

england
Level Contributor
103 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

I am in the early stages of planning a visit from the UK to New York/east coast for next July and wondered if anyone could help us plan our trip? We are thinking about staying in New York for a few days and then hiring a car and driving to Washington DC and Niagra Falls. However we would really like to relax somewhere as well e.g. a beach or lake resort. Any ideas?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

If you want to stop at a beach between New York and Washington, Cape May, New Jersey, is a good choice. It's a gorgeous Victorian beach town at the southern tip of New Jersey. Lots of very nice b&b's. From Cape May you can take the ferry across Delaware Bay to Lewes, Delaware and drive in to Washington from there.

We've done this a number of times when we've been in New York and had to go to Washington from there but wanted a beach break in between.

Before you commit to this, though, check on the drop off charges for a car rented in New York and returned in Washington. On one occasion when I did this it was cheaper to return the car at Reagan-National Airport, which is close to downtown Washington and just a few minutes away on the Washington Metro.

england
Level Contributor
103 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

Thank you very much for your advice - much appreciated! I think we will be flying into and out of New York so won't have one way drop off charges. It will really depend on how much driving my husband is prepared to do! I hadn't really considered returning from Washington but I suppose it is an option! I've never head of Cape May so will do some research. Once again - thank you very much for your advice!

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,320 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

I agree with Auden. Cape May is wonderful. Be sure to spend one day in nearby Wildwood, for some great, American, ticky-tacky fun.

If you can skip the car rental for the NYC portion of your trip, and then take public transport to Newark airport for the car rental, you will likely save yourself tremendous aggravation and expense.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,893 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

If you get an open jaw ticket, flying into New York and back from Washington, either Dulles (IAD) or Baltimore Washington International (BWI) should have flights. Reagan National, though much closer to downtown, won't have them.

I've returned a New York car rental at BWI and the drop off charges (with Alamo, I think) weren't bad.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,502 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

Washington is pretty hot and in the opposite direction from Niagara Falls. If you want to visit the falls, rather than driving the whole way, fly from NYC to Buffalo, NY and rent a car there to see the falls. Then you could spend some time at Niagara on the Lake for a beachy vacation.

Another idea is to head to Boston from NYC (by train or bus). See Boston, then head to Cape Cod and/or Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard for beaches.

Strongly suggest you follow Auden's advice to consider open jaw flights (into one city and out of another) which are typically not much more expensive if at all and more convenient.

Binghamton, NY
Level Contributor
168 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

What type of beach area do you like? There are many East Coast beaches, some really busy and some more laid-back. Also, Cape May and some of the other New Jersey beaches require you to buy beach tags. The Wildwood beaches in New Jersey are free, as well as the Delaware and Maryland beaches. I don't think of Niagara-On-The-Lake when I think of beaches. It's small and more for walking along, IMO.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,036 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

I agree that Boston would be nicer than Washington DC in July. But I'm biased... I lived there for 20+ years. It's a lovely and accessible city and provides a nice contrast to NYC (not putting down NYC, they are just very different). There are terrific coastal locals very nearby to drive to, or get to by train or ferry.

If Niagara Falls is a must, flying is the way to go, whether it's from DC, NYC or BOS. If you really have your heart set on a long driving trip, you could do it out of BOS and spend some time in the Berkshires (western MA) and the Finger Lakes region (NY) on the way. But you'll have to drive all the way back to avoid a hefty one way drop-off fee for the car, so it's really better to plan interesting road trips as circular trips, then fly to NF.

Air fares to NF (Buffalo) are quite reasonable from all three cities.

8. Re: Combining a visit to New York with......where should we go??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2013, 10:17